MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

new patient from china/help

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board new patient from china/help

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Suzanne

Martin, I only know what I have read and been told about BMT or stem cell transplants.I was too old to have it except from a matched sibling and I did not have one. There are others on the forum who have had transplants that can tell you more. But basically they use chemo to kill your wife’s stem cells in the marrow. They take some bone marrow or remove the stem cells from the blood of the donor who they have matched as closely as possible to your wife and transplant it into her. They hope the new cells will grow and replace her diseased cells. For her the process is like having a transfusion but there is a long recovery time -close to a year sometimes as her body adjusts to the new cells (and hopefully none of her old ones grow back) Like other types of transplants her body will try to reject the new cells and there can be other complications. The doctors are getting much better at doing this and it is the most sure way of being cured of MDS. If she decides to do it she needs to go someplace where they have a lot of experience doing this type of transplant on MDS & Leukemia patients. The top place in the USA and maybe the world is Fred Hutchinson Cancer center in Seattle Washington. For someone her age there is a worldwide bone marrow pool of people who have volunteered to donate to someone they match but the best chance is still a matched brother or sister.
    I will be thinking of her and hoping that the second round of chemo puts her in remission.

martin

Suzanne,I am well noted what you said.my wife now stayed in hospital whick ranked 3rd in BMT of CHINA,so I have confidence about the medical skill,and she have one brother and it have seldom chance to match her,most of donor in china from Taiwaiee,and I hope we can find matched marrow later.if the chemo treament is good,then We will consider BMT.If it’s no use,the BMT has higher risk,I know this point clearly.
    Thank you,Suzanne,although we are in different countries,but we are in one world.I am sad for your can’t BMT.and hope you are better and better.GOD BLESS YOU!
    When my wife finished 2nd chemo.and I will tell you the results.
    By the way,I am now considering using chinese herb to cure this problem.if you need more information.just visit the following website:
    http://www.cn-blood.com
    thank u very much again!

eve

martin

that would be a very interesting web site if it were written in english

eve

martin

eve,this website was mainly introduce Chinese herb treament for MDS and others blood disease.
    it’s regret for only chinese version.

DonUK

Hey Martin – some useful sites for BMT info that I have found on my travels:

http://www.bmtinfonet.org/bmt/bmt.book/toc.html

http://www.lrf.org.uk/images/seven_steps_188.pdf

Hopefully it will give some background to BMT procedures as well as what to expect.

martin

today my wife was taken blood test for 2nd chemo,and the results was good,and platelates and red blood cell increase slowly,which is higher that Dr.suppose.so they decide to delay 2nd chemo to see how it’s go on.
    my wife and me was also glad to see this results.thank you everyone in this website,the patiet or relatives!!

sarah

Awesome, hope counts continue to increase.

gemloyear

Martin, It would be interesting to know the name of the herb. WE have one man on the forum that is taking herbs (Chinese). Mushroom tea. Maybe he will reply.Happy her counts are coming up.
    Ellie

Ellie

martin

SUZANNE,
    today our dr.told me they will take 2nd chemo with wife.meantime he told me that VIDAZA can be got now in CHINA.
    So I want to know that VIDAZA can be used with chemo.it’s no conflict?

Suzanne

I don’t think they would use both together. If the chemo puts her in remission, I don’t believe they will use the vidaza. I don’t know if they will consider it if the chemo does not work. As far as i know vidaza dies not cure, it just imporves the condition and slows the progress of the disease. People on the forum who are taking it will know more about the statistics on what it does.
    My counts came all the way up to normal after the 1st round of chemo. Then they went down again after the 2nd round and were slower to recover. I was told that they have not had any success with a maintanence drug-one that prevents relapse- with our disease. As far as I know the Zarnestra that I took is the only one that has been tried that way for a long time.
    The most important thing right now is for your wife to have bone marrow that shows no diseased cells. And I think the chemo you are trying is probably the best chance for that. All of us will be hoping for success.

martin

Suzanne,many thanks for your good suggestion.today my wife have started 2nd round chemo.Dr.use VINDESINE SULFATE INJECTION and other medcine for treatmemt.we are waiting for the results in recent days and hope it can make blast down to normal level.

Suzanne

I will hope so too. Then maybe you can look at a bone marrow or stem cell tranplant-especially since your wife is so young and has so much life ahead of her!

John in GR

Dear Martin,

Are you looking to the West exclusively for treatment of your wife’s condition?? Please do not forget to investigate the thousands of years of development of Chinese and oriental medicine. My own program includes things such as mushroom tea. My story is found at http://www.geocities.com/marlakins/index.html

Best wishes,

John

martin

Dear John,
    Many thanks for your information support.You are right,I do a little work about Chinese and oriental medicine treament with my wife disease.now she was in 2nd round Chemo,it will last 7 days.and tomorrow is finished and I am waiting for results.meantime I am now looking for Chinese and oriental herb and will use it in next month in case it’s no use of Chemo.
    Thank you very much!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert