MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

new to forum

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board new to forum

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lynette

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum, but would like to share some wonderful news. My Mom, age 74 was diagnosed w/ RAEB-T in 8/05. At the time of diagnosis, she had 19% blasts in the marrow. We took her to a center of excellence in NYC(we live appx 2 hrs. away), and their BMB revealed 21% blasts. According to the docs, she progressed to AML. She began a Phase I trial of Zarnestra and VP-16. She completed 2 cycles. Unfortunately, not only was the treatment unsuccessful, but the BMB showed 40% blasts, and blood 21% blasts. She then decided to try a clinical trial of Trisenox(arsenic) and ARA-C. This required a hosptial stay of 14 days. The first cycle was a bit rough. She experienced nausea and a rapid heart beat. However, her next BMB showed blasts were down to 10%. She was admitted again for an additional 2 weeks of treatment. The second cycle was much easier. Her latest BMB revealed COMPLETE REMISSION!! WBCs, Platelets, and HGB are all normal. What a blessing!! Truly a Christmas miracle.
    She will have outpatient ARA-C every six weeks– (I will be able to give her the injections since I am a nurse) and possibly 1-2 days of outpatient Trisenox at the local hospital.
    We don’t know how long the remission will last, perhaps 8-10 months. We know each day is a gift.
    I wanted to share this with the members of the forum because we really were given a miracle. There is hope!! My prayers are with all of you for a blessed New Year.
    Lynette

CarolineG

Hi Lynette,

Take advantage of everyday that you are given with your Mom. I am so glad to hear your good news. I keep referring to this disease as a roller coaster. The downs are way down….the ups are all the way up in the clouds.

Have fun and enjoy !!!
    Caroline

sugarwhale

Hi, Lynette,
    Welcome to our Forum! You’ve come to the right place, because we all help each other here. I’m so very happy that you were able to help your mom! Your letter gave all of us great happiness and wonderful news.
    Caroline is right: It’s a roller coaster. Of course, I suppose all of our lives are roller coasters! Yes, cherish every day you have of your mom.
    Good luck to you and to your mom, Lynette!
    ~~~ Janet

Suzanne

Wonderful news! Hope the remisson lasts a long time. Yes there is hope and every day they seem to be finding new ways to help.

Bec

Hey Lynette,

Thank you for sharing good news. This terrible disease does so much bad… It is so good to hear when someone beats it (hopefully and prayfully indefinetely)

Take Care of Mom and yourself.

Bec

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert