MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

New to this forum

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board New to this forum

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AlanM
    Participant

I am a 60 yr old male with no other medical conditions or history. I was diagnosed with MDS (refractory type anemia) 18 months ago. Whilst my hb count has recently reduced from a consistent reading of 10.3 since being diagnosed to 9.3 over the last six weeks, this coincides with my taking Eprex (epoetin Alfa) starting @ 10000 dose for four weeks, then 20000 dose for a further three weeks and now 30000 for the last week. Does anybody else have experience of this drug (injected weekly) and is it possible that the drug may have caused the reduction in hb numbers?
    As a matter of interest whist I have had very limited breathlessness, the recent reduction in hb count has not made it worse!
    I really would appreciate views and comments from you.

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Alan,
    I have never heard it mentioned here that Eprex (Procrit) lowered someones HGB. That is not to say that it couldn’t. Mostly there is either a positive or negative response. Ones body will accustom to the lower HGB and you just sort of get used to living with the symptoms. Have you had fuzzy thinking, weak heavy feeling legs? Perhaps your physician will consider trying transfusion if your HGB continues to drop. Let us know how things unfold for you.
    Mary

AlanM
    Participant

Thanks Mary – really appreciate your response. Don’t feel heavy legs etc . Albeit I do feel if I could sleep a lot more. I seem to have memory lapses where I forget words and names though. Also my consultant seems to be edging towards transfusion, but not sure I want to start so early on in the condition?????
    Any further responses would be greatly appreciated, are you aware of hgb levels increasing given my circumstances?
    Thanks loads
    Alan

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Do you mean spontaneous rise in Hgb? If so, no I haven’t. I can understand hesitating to begin transfusions. Have they offered any line of treatment other than Eprex ie Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen? What about being checked for a transplant match? You will most likely, eventually, be transfused. Whether you begin a chemical treatment or just wait it out, it is probably inevitable. If you are managing right now with the way you feel, your physician or consultant may hold off until you symtomatically need it.

AlanM
    Participant

Thanks once again for your response, as far as transplant is concerned its not even on the agenda, not sure if that’s because the risks are considered too high?… Or other reasons, not sure either if here is a difference in the drugs administered in the USA vs UK. In your experience is transfusion a long term management solution?
    Regards
    Alan

Mary4Mike
    Participant

That is a good description of transfusion treatment. Unless you try a chemical treatment and it gives you a response ie stimulates your bone marrow so that you can discontinue transfusion for a time, but I haven’t read many testimonies where it has kept people off transfusion indefinitely. I am sure that you have done research and found that the only cure is transplant. You are still young enough (USA standards) to have a transplant if you are otherwise healthy. I don’t know if you read my signature, but my husband had a transplant at 64 years old and it has been a total success. He did 140 units of PRBC during the 10 years leading up to the decision to transplant. He also did all the available chemical treatments.
    We had a doctor tell us years ago that he could keep Mike alive a long time with transfusions. Eventually, he didn’t get a "good quality of life" response from them and opted for transplant. Everyone’s journey with this disease and reponse is so indivdual. There is no one set protocol that works for all…how wonderful that would be. They are having more and more success with the mini stemcell transplants. The induction regimen is not as brutal (low ablative). My husband had this and also had no radiation. He sailed through it better than when he did some of the chemos for the disease. Again, everyone is different. From what I am reading here and on the Marrow Forum, it sounds like they are using transplant sooner rather than later in treating this.
    There is much to consider. All the best, and keep asking questions.
    Mary

AlanM
    Participant

Hi – Mary your detailed response and the time you have given is fantastic for me. I believe my discussions with my consultant must now include reference to transplant, particularly as my health is otherwise excellent, ie. no other illnesses or issues.
    Thanks Mary for giving so generously.

Best Regards
    Alan

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Alan,
    You are very welcome…..any time.

God Bless,
    Mary

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert