MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Newly diagnosed

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Newly diagnosed

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mary Barto
    Participant

I was recently diagnosed with High risk MDS I’m suppose to start the chemo pill after 1st of the year and meet with Transplant team. I appreciate being included in the group as I have lots to learn I will be traveling to MD Anderson in Jan for a 2nd opinion. Do you find most of the beginning treatments to be similar. I’m 66 and am hoping to qualify for stem cell transplant.

Michael
    Participant

Mary~

I was originally diagnosed in June 2016 at 64 yrs old. Initially was told intermediate risk with 6% blasts. Local hematologist insisted on starting treatment. I received a second opinion at a Center of Excellence and the result was 1% blasts and no need for treatment. I get an annual BMB at the center for excellence and disease has not progressed, still 1% blasts. I am still on watch and wait.

Best wishes.

Mary Barto
    Participant

I have had 2 BMB already I have blasts as well and chromosome and a DNA mutation. I do feel positive that MD Anderson is a great place to be. Trying to stay positive that my outcome will have some promising results.
    I’m very happy you’ve had such a good outcome.

Joe Catalano
    Participant

Been on watching weight will be starting treatment with Darbapoetin. Hemoglobin dropped to 7.9 from 10.2 1 1/2 years ago. Everything has recommended exercise, but has not been prescribed as necessary. Do you know what your treatment is going to consist of? I’m just curious about that.
    Thank you if you get back to me and good luck to you

Mary Barto
    Participant

Hi Joe
    My drs notes said his recommended treatment is decitabine + cedazuridine. I’m not familiar with this but am assuming it’s standard?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert