MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Nosebleeds

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Nosebleeds

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jerry

Last winter I suffered from severe nosebleeds, including one which sent me to the ER. I have some of the new nosebleed powder kits which do help AFTER getting the nosebleed. Does anyone know of a way to prevent the nosebleed in the first place. FYI, I have not had the problem through the spring or summer, so I feel that it must be related to the dryness of winter. Thanks for your help.

JulesH

Jerry

I get nosebleeds about 7-10 days after my VIDAZA treatments. I also got nose bleeds my last trip to Vegas and that was due to dry air. None of the nose bleeds have been serious.

eve

jerry

ask your doctor if it ok to use a saline solution in your nose to prevent the dryness – something like ayr saline nasal mist

eve

gemloyear

Jerry, try using a room humidifier during the winter months, it helps.
    Ellie

patti

Jerry,

I have to second the motion on a humidifier. Works well for keeping my son moister.

Patti

Jerry

Thanks for all the suggestions. We have a humidifier on our furnace, but I think I will add a portable to the bedroom. Have a great day.

hmblume

Jerry, I have had low platelets for 15 years, ITP DGS until CMML DGS 2 years ago.
    1)I line my right nostril with Vaseine every night (no exceptions). My septum is not straight, so left nostril nosebleeds are rare. 2) My hematologist has taken all anti-inflammatories and also Pletal (a MED for reduced blood flow to legs) out of my regime. 3) The backs of my wrists would get torn and bleed with modest bumps or abrasions. I use moisturizing lotion on my wrists; the softer skin seems more abrasion tolerant. I have not yet tried Urgent QR or Nosebleed QR, but I tend to travel with Kleenex or paper napkins to stop the bleeding when it occurs.
    At any rate, I have been bleeding far less with platelets 50-60 than 2 years ago with platelets 80. Ibuprofen was quoted to me as reducing platelet effect by above 10 for a week.
    No other MEDs; minimal symptons to date.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert