MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

opinions, please

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board opinions, please

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sdrake

Dad was pretty set on starting Revlimid. He has been on Vidaza since 02/05 with good results. He does have the 5q deletion, so we thought Revlimid was the best bet. His oncologist did a BMB to see where Dad’s CMML is at. Well, the results came in today. His bone marrow has really improved. The doctor said that of the 16 cells studied, only one was leukemic. So now we are wondering what to do. The oncologist said Dad has three choices: 1) continue with Vidaza, 2) start Revlimid, or 3) wait and watch. Soooo, what to do? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shari

Dennis

Why change horses while the one you’re riding seems to be working? I know the needles are a pain (no pun intended) but the results are there — and there’s no guarantee the revlimid would work for you.

Dennis

Jerry

Shari …

Dennis has done it again. Completely stolen my thunder. (LOL!) I agree with him 100%. I certainly would ask your Dad’s doctor for his opinion, but I would be reluctant to change without a very good reason. Good luck !

Jerry

sdrake

Dennis and Jerry,

Thanks for the input. I think you are exactly right. I guess we were all geared up to do the Revlimid. The results of Dad’s BMB were so much better than we even hoped for. This disease is such a roller coaster ride, but for now we are very grateful for the good news. Dad went for his weekly blood test today. It is the best he has had in the 18 months since he was diagnosed! When I put this all in writing it does make me wonder why we would change anything now. Thanks again for your opinions – they do help!
    My best,
    Shari

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert