MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Pineapple is an anticoagulant?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Pineapple is an anticoagulant?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mildred

Sorry for my english. I was reading lots of info regarding the effects of the pineapple in platelets. Bromelian (the enzime contained in the pineapple) avoids the aggregation of the platelets, Bromelian stops platelets from sticking together and breaks down plaque
    (to form clots. Very similar effect has the aspirin and other anticoagulants.

Platelet aggregation inhibitors
    Bilberry, black currant seed oil, borage seed oil, bromelian, cayenne fruit, clove oil, Dan Shen, devil’s claw, evening primrose seed oil, feverfew, garlic, ginger, gingko, ginseng, horse chestnut seed extract, kava kava, papain, turmeric root, vitamin E

(Adapted from Norred and Brinker, 2001)

Maybe that is why sometimes the bromelian (pineapple) can increase the platelets count? because it can separate the platelets?

“Most of the anticoagulant effects caused by herbs are from inhibition of platelet aggregation via altered prostaglandin production or decreased production of platelet-activating factors”.

It is not the anticoagulants like aspirin, Ibuprofen very dangerous for a person with low platelets?

If anticoagulants are dangerous and bromealian is like an anticoagulant, so…..????????

http://webferret.search.com/click?wf,+%2Bbromelian+%2Bplatelets,,discuss.pdsa.org%2Ftopic.asp%3FARCHIVE%3Dtrue%26TOPIC_ID%3D11608,,altavista

This is a discussion in the ITP Board regarding the effects of the bromelian in platelets counts.

I am very confused.

Mildred

lynette

Hi Mildred,
    I’m not sure if I’m answering your question–but I will try to explain what I believe you are asking.
    A medication that is a platelet inhibitor, prevents the aggregation or clumping of platelets as you said. However,just because something is a platelet aggregation inhibitor doesn’t give it the ability to increase the number of platelets. Rather, these substances prevent clumps of platelets from clogging blood vessels. They do not affect the overall count.
    I have no idea if bromealian is an anticoagulant. Typically, most if not all anticoagulants do not raise platelet counts.
    Lynette

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert