MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Platelet Drug

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Platelet Drug

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bhanson

Hi, has anyone heard of this medicine for increasing plalets?
    GlaxoSmithKline, Britain’s largest pharmaceuticals group, this week plans to unveil details of a breakthrough cancer drug that could be a potential blockbuster generating billions of pounds of sales for the company.

The group will use a research seminar to present data on a potential treatment for low blood platelet count, which is associated with liver failure and chemotherapy. At the moment, patients suffering from the disease either have to undergo a blood transfusion or have their spleen removed. If GSK’s product is successful, those treatments could be replaced by a tablet.

The drug, called eltrombopag, is still in the early stages of development.

GSK is believed to have started talks with the Food & Drug Administration, the US medicines regulator, about getting it approved. Analysts say the product could be launched as early as the middle of 2007 being studied in England. This was from Nov. 2005, and I haven’t heard anything about it since. Thanks, Bernard and Bonnie

Jerry

B and B ….

Here is an article I found … it does seem very promising …

http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/255ffe.htm

Hope you can find the article … if not just Google eltrombopag and you will find it.

Jerry

JaniceR

Hi: My father has been eating one whole pineapple a day for less than one week and his platelets went from 27,000 to 39,000 in 5-6 days! I don’t know if that’s a coincidence or not, but I got the pineapple advice from this forum and I figured what can I pineapple hurt.

Neil

Have been watching for additional info on Eltrombopag for a while.
    Seems to help those with low platelet production but have been searching for more info on patients that do not have ITP. Those whose cells are cloning and produce tons of abnormal plts and a few normal plts. Not too much out there yet for a response in MDS patients. Hopefully there will be some encouraging info soon.

bhanson

Thanks, the article was more than I had. Hopefully, they will try it for MDS with low platelets. Thanks for all of you. Bernard is on pineapple a day and his platelets are holding around 58 to 63, which keeps him from developing symptoms. Anything less than 58 and he gets symptoms. Best of wishes for you all, B and B

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert