MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Platelet Transfusions

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Platelet Transfusions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SusanJ

Hello friends,

Daddy is still in the hospital fighting cellulitis. He had 2 units of red blood cells day before yesterday and today will be getting his first platelet transfusion. He has little purple spots all over his legs and is itching like crazy. Is this something I should be worried about and does it just go along with all the other problems of this nasty disease? Please help!

gemloyear

Susan, Is your dad in a Univ. Hosp. or a center of excellance? Is he being treated by a Dr. familier with MDS? You didn’t mention that in your postings. My husbands Drs. did come to our local Hosp. from a Univ. Hosp. And they do consult with Mayo. Even so I sometimes question the care. You should read and learn as much as you can. Between my daughter and myself we research everything that comes up, including every med. You will discover that not every medical person that you will deal with knows anything about Mds. Good luck and prayer do help.
    Ellie

SusanJ

Ellie, yes my dad’s doctor is very well educated on MDS. The hospital is not a center of excellance but is a great hospital. My dad’s doctor consults with a doctor at a center of excellance hospital, so I am assured that he is getting the best of care through very good doctors. This is just the first time that he has been hospitalized since his diagnosis and everything seems to be happening and changing so fast. The doctors decided against Revlimid because daddy has several other abnormal chromosomes as well as the 5Q. I’m not even sure at this point if daddy will still want to go through with the Vidaza, since this infection has been so bad.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert