MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Platelets Question

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Platelets Question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I’ve never been concerned about my husband’s platelets as it didn’t seem to be associated with any kind of symptom. However, lately they have been climbing steadily. After a transfusion they dropped to the 60’s and 70’s, now are at 359. I have no idea if that is good or bad!

I need an education here….. what is a “normal” range? What symptoms are attached to low or high platelets? Is there anything “natural” that can be done to stabilize platelt levels?

Thanks
    Margaret

shirlsgirl

Hi Margaret,

The normal range for platelets is 150-400 but it can vary slightly depending on the demographics. Luke’s in the normal range laugh , that’s awesome! When my mom was first diagnosed she was put on cyclosporin which raised her platelets above 500 and the doctor was not too concerned.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/thrombocytosis.htm

Take care,

Jody

patti

Margaret,

Normal platelet levels are between 250K and 400K. I’d say Luke’s are looking good! Low platelets will cause bleeding. For my MIL she starts having symptoms of bleeding around 12,000 platelets. She’s realllllyyyy low. I believe if platelets get too high they can cause some clotting but it doesn’t seem that Luke is in that range. I’ve not heard of high platelets associated with MDS as of yet. I’m guessing Neil would know?

Best wishes,

patti

Neil

Hi Margaret,
    If you go to my posts of June 22 and july 13 you may get some platelet insight.
    Click on search, my member number number is 9.
    It will bring up all of my posts. Scroll to the above dates

Hi all;
    Thanks so much for your replies. Neil, I found your posts. I had read them before so knew that low platelets were related to bleeding, but had no idea what high platelets do.

Luke developed a deep vein thromobosis right around the time of his CMML diagnosis; he is currently on warfarin, and his INR levels have been a bit lower than they usually are.

I’ve been adding a bit more leafy greens to his diet, and vitamin K affects warfarin. He has also been taking fish oil for the heart, so that may also affect clotting. I’ll need to look that up.

If platelets are associated with clotting, and warfarin reduces clotting, and his numbers are climbing, it would all make sense. This is starting to sound like an algebra exam question… If Mary walks seven miles…. ARRRGH!
    Margaret

patti

And kids complain they’ll never use algebra in real life….. ah.

patti

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert