MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Pnuemonia and MDS – Dad is in the hosp!!

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Pnuemonia and MDS – Dad is in the hosp!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    txnmomma

Well.. my dad is in the hosp with pneumonia. RML [righ middle lobe] pneumonia to be exact.

All week long he was sick. Went to the dr Monday..on anti-biotics everything. He was progressively getting worse and I forced him to go yester. I ended up taking him yester to the dr and then his dr decided to put him the hosp. He took an X-ray of his chest and saw the right lung being affected not both.

I was really scared. I know regular people *can* die from this, let alone- MDS patients have a harder time fighting off illness!!

He has been sick off and on all winter!!

Please keep him in your prayers! I am scared for the time since he was dx’ed last yr with MDS. I dont know what to do now. frown frown

txnmomma

People with MDS..

Can pneumonia be alot harder to fight given the low BC’s?

I am worried about his recovery and certainly dont want him to die.

JulieMarie

WEndy,

My mom had pneumonia right before she was diagnosed with MDS last year. It took a few months and lots of meds but she’s better. She was weak and tired a lot, didn’t make christmas too fun, but gradually she is getting stronger, it takes time. Will keep you and your father in my prayers.

Hopefully someday soon they will find a cure for MDS with out having to have a bone marrow transplant

Suzanne

Yes, It can be harder to recover from and yes some MDS patients do die from Pneumonia but many repond to treatment. In the hospital is the best place for him where they can monitor the situation and give him stronger drugs then if he were at home. We will all keep our fingers crossed that he gets past this. Hang in there and think positive.

Terri

Prayers are coming your way

txnmomma

Thank you all for the well wishes!! smile smile smile

It’s been a LONG LONG weekend. Turns out they did a bronchoscopy and found he was bleeding internallyl in the lungs. His lungs were filling with blood as well as the pnuemonia!!

Terri

txnmomma, How is your Dad, When Bob was dx in Aug 03 he was feeling like he had a bad cold or flu but spitting up blood, He was hospitalized, they did more scopes then could be imagined.
    After three hospital stays they finally found an antibiotic by IV that clear the problem, apparently he had a Bad Bronchial infection that would not go away. Hope your Dad responds well

PaigeS

Wendy,

Wow! How were they able to remove the blood from the lungs? What were his symptoms?

Hugs!
    Paige

Kathryn

Wendy, I hope that your father is doing better and the doctors were able to get him on the road to recovery.

You and your father are in my prayers. Keep the faith.

Take care,

Kathryn

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert