MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

post lymphoma BMT diagnosis of MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board post lymphoma BMT diagnosis of MDS

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    carolyn m

My husband (69) has just been diagnosed with MDS. In 2004 he underwent chemo for non-hodgkins lymphoma, followed by BMT in 2005. He has been in remission until this new diagnosis last month. We were told the MDS is a likely consequence of his chemo (he also had major heart failure from his chemo). I would like to hear of any other similiarly caused MDS cases and how this type of history may affect prognosis.

Zoe

Welcome Carolyn! It may be helpful for people to answer if you share what type of MDS he has. What is his blast count, and what lines are affected? I am glad you found us.

Zoe

jaxem

carolyn
    please share with us the sub-type of MDS and heart failure diagnosis description. my wife also developed secondary MDS from chemo given following breast surgery. Isn’t it great that you can develop a worst disease after being treated for another?!! We’ve got a long, long way to go in treating cancer.

gj

Carolyn

Yes your hubby joins a group of us who jump from the frying pan…
    What kind of NHL was he treated for? Also did he do an auto or allo BMT?
    I was dx with mantle cell in March 05 and had my bmt in Nov 05. All went along well until March 07 when up pops the MDS. I have been and continue to be treated ever since. Started with one round of Vidaza which failed me and then have undergone 6 rounds of Dacogen and am doing prety good. My only other issues is varying levels of fatigue.
    Keep us up to date on your husband’s progress. Also if you have any questions you’ll find this board friendly and helpful.
    Wishing you the best
    greg

jas174

Hello Carolyn,
    It looks as if it is common to develop MDS after previous chemo. Like Jack said, the original disease treatment causes a worse disease! My husband had NHL, was treated with CHOP and a few years later developed MDS. That progressed to RAEB, then to AML. He is doing well, recieving treatment, waiting for a BMT in the spring. It looks like you found the right place for support and information. There’s great, caring people here. All the best to you and him! Prayers coming your way. jas smile

LarryCA

Similar situation here: Wife had an auto SCT for AML in December of 2002. Clean annual BMB’s each year and then after her test this past December, her doc called and said that the cytogenics report indicates she may be looking at MDS somewhere down the road. Our next regularly scheduled labs is in two weeks. Keeping fingers crossed for good CBC’s etc.

All the best to you guys.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert