MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Prednisone treatment for RARS y-, 5-

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Prednisone treatment for RARS y-, 5-

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Britt

I almost had my partner convinced to go to Stanford Center for MDS, but his doctor said they are starting him on a new treatment. They are giving him Prednisone, 20mg 3 X’s per day. May I ask if this has helped anyone else? By the way I don’t have a clue what the y- or 5- means yet. It was just mentioned yesterday.

Britt

Neil

Hi Britt,
    I looked at Prednisone at one point as a means of boosting my platelets. The side effects are nasty! Weight gain, face begins to become round if left on it long enough for longer periods of time. Nausea, neuropathy etc. Suggest yopu plug it into a search engine and take a look.
    My doc commented it will provide an “artificial” boost in counts. Seems there are WBC, RBC and platelets in ones tissues and the lining of blood vessels. Prednisone (and other steroids )releases these cells into the blood stream where they are counted. Question is how long does this last?
    Im my case the plan was to use a very low dose if it became necessary. BUT– Vidaza, Revlimid, Dacogen,Trisonox, Procrit, Aranesp and a few other drugs that have had some fairly good results came along and put Prednisone way in the background.
    Would really urge Patrick to go to Stanford.
    Believe the y- 5- refer to chromosome deletions. Would have to see his cytogenetics results to be sure.

willie

Britt You might want to the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA)also. Check out their website –
    seattlecca.org. Everyone is a different case, but one of the patients I met at SCCA was referred there by Stanford.

Britt

Hi Willie, Has your wife been to Seattle? I see you live in Sacramento. Is your wifes’ condition secondary? Patrick’s is from the treatment he received for non Hodgkin’s lymphoma. His last treatment for that was only a year and a half ago and now this. I don’t know what w/Sweets means. And may I ask what DLI means?
    Britt

pigduck

my dad took prednisolone for his tuberculosis fever and to reduce symptoms.. it worked and yes, he went through all that was said above.. he put on a lot of weight, his appetite was excellent, he got a round face…

during the time when he was still on pred, even though his rbcs were very low at around 7.5, he would still have energy, like a normal person almost…

he’s off pred now.. for a month to a month and a half… you can tell the difference, he’s eating less now… at least he’s not being artificially boosted. Pred did help to a degree, allowing his platelets and wbcs to balance up a bit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert