MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Procrit and Liver inflamation

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Procrit and Liver inflamation

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lynne
    Participant

I had 12 weeks of Procrit injections,and now my liver is testing with an “inflamation,”which has never happened before…..any connection that anyone knows about? I see my doctor soon,but I’m just curious if any of you have heard of anything that puts the two together..Lynne

Jerry

Lynne …

I have been on Procrit for well over a year and have never had any side effects except for the rise in my hemoglobin (good). I looked uo side effects of Procrit on 3 different sites and found no mention of the liver. So, for me, I have never heard of a liver connection. Good luck.

Jerry

lynette

Hi Lynne,
    I did not remember Procrit causing liver inflammation. So–I researched all of my Nursing medication texts. I could not find liver inflammation anywhere. Did your doctor tell you that your liver enzymes were elevated….ie. AST/ALT? Or –did he tell you that a blood test for inflammation was elevated. A test named CRP is a marker for system inflammation–but could reflect anywhere in the body.
    Are you on other meds which might effect the liver. Many drugs will scuh as meds for high cholesterol.
    Lynette

lindajo

My local doctor and I discussed Procrit yesterday. He told me that it depends on the amount of Procrit but it can be hard on the liver and kidneys. Unless transfusion need is constant or increasing he won’t consider it for me.

The EPO level before starting is also important. Dr. Sekeres in Cleveland said that there may be a benefit for MDS patients to keep a higher level than normal of EPO. It is very individualized decision for each patient. The other health issues for each patient are things to consider when deciding on Procrit.

lynne
    Participant

Lynette…………..My ALT is 45,and my alkaline phos is 140,and they were normal before I started Procrit. The doctor does’nt think the two are connected,but he’s going to “watch it”………always somethinbg,huh?……..Lynne

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert