MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Procrit and Medicare

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Procrit and Medicare

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lynne
    Participant

I have heard that once I turn 65,and am on Medicare that Medicare will not pay for my Procrit injections. I am on Kaiser Permanente now,and they pay until if/when my hemoglobin gets to 12. What does anyone know about Medicare paying for Procrit?

Terri

As far as I know I thought Medicare would pay as long as HGB under 12 as well.
    Did you check with your Doctors office???

Jimbob

I believe that Terri is correct bbut to relieve any unneccessary anxiety you can get a very specific answer directly from Medicare by calling 1-900-MEDICARE.

Neil

Medicare will pay for Procrit as long as it is given in a docs office and your HCT is 35 or lower ( might be 37 can’t recall exactly, but it is on the chart that accompanies the drug in your file, a yellow/orange page).
    If you have a supplement it will probably pick up the portion medicare does not cover.
    There is a charge for the injection, the CBC and the cost of the Procrit.
    The Procrit is covered under Medicare Part B, so a supplement will usually pick up the uncovered balance, depending upon which supplement you have and the coverage. BCBS Senior Gold does cover it—in Minnesota.
    Medicare Part D is not involved(as long as the injection is given in the docs office).

Jim

I agree with Neil. I’m 66 and Medicare has been paying for my Aranesp, injection and CBC as long as Hgb is under 12. I have had all the shots at the hospital cancer center.

diner

Yes, Medicare pays but they won’t if the patient gives his own shot. Dee

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert