MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Prognosis

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Prognosis

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gorgi

I have just been diagnosed with MDS. My daughter led me to this site and this is my first posting

At this time I don’t know what type of MDS
    My age is 73, I am very fit physically and ohterwise in excellent condition. I currently am able to swim, (slowly), a mile three times a week and can easily walk for two hrs or more. I used to run but that is now a no – no

I would apreciate some comments on the likely progress of the disease and the prognosis.

My current hemoglobin count is 9.6; RBC 2.6; wbc 4300; platelet 133, 000

Thanks for any response. scottgr@shaw.ca

• Information
    Vasilios2

Welcome! Key question is how you feel not only the numbers. Also the classification of MDS. But again from several conversations that I had with my father’s docs they all tell me that if he feels good that is the important thing. You “sound” great. Do not give up and live your life to the fullest. It sounds that you have many years ahead of you
    Good luck
    Vasilios

Father (78) diagnosed with MDS no blasts. Doing well no treatments, no chromosome abn

Suzanne

gorgi, the key is what type of MDs you have and your ‘risk score’. Some types are much easier to live with and control for long periods of time then others. Your Hemotologist should give you tbis information. The second important issue is to go to a hemotologist that has a lot of experience with MDS or even better a “center of Excellence” for a more accurate prognosis and for advice on what if any treatment might help. Many local doc’s will “write off” a patient of 73 with supportive care only. There have been a lot of advances in treatments in the past few years and some healthy 73 year olds are now responding to treatments. You want to be sure you know what your alternatives are so you can make good decisions for yourself. I hope you have one of the less serious types but people here really can’t give you the benefit of their experience without more information. Neil has a great list of questions to ask when you are first diagnosed. I sure he will send it to you when he sees your post.

Gorgi

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. It is appreciated.

George

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert