MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Progress reports on Exjade please

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Progress reports on Exjade please

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    helenr

Hello everyone

We were would like some progress reports from those of you who have been using Exjade for a few months now. How soon did it start working and are the side effects tolerable?

It has finally become available in Australia. David has been coping with desferal quite well until a recent nasty infection which required surgicasl treatment and iv antibiotics. The oral treatment is looking attractive. We do not know the price yet and are still waiting for our Revlimid trial.

We hope you all find something to make you happy today. I remember the person who gave the advice to treat yourself everyday even if it is a surprise icecream.

Good luck, Helen

covergirl

Hi Helen,
    I started taking Exjade in February and around April my HEMO/ONC noted my white cells decreasing. I had a previous cycle of decreasing whites but they would then rebound and come back up again. My ONC noted that since Exjade, they did not cycle back. So she took me off in late April and immediately did a BMB. BMB showed no change, however, I’m now on desferal treatments with my every 5week BTX.

I will note that while on Exjade, my ferritin levels were slowly coming down. I had no other side effects, other than being very Regular. I was fortunate that my insurance paid for it. It was $5,000 for 30-day supply. I paid $50 co-pay.

Best o luck to you and your husband. As with MDS, its different in all of us.

frank
    Participant

hi helen,

i started Exjade after April, no side effect, i only have 1 ferritin levels test last month, it seems going down according my HEMO doctor. i am still on it.

Frank

patti

Hi Helen,

My MIL will be starting on exjade in a few weeks. We’ve already gotten approval and are waiting for dispensing. For my MIL we have opted to use the lowest dose possible (250mg) and use Chinese medicine also for the chelation. If the 250 isn’t enough with the CM we will up her to 500mg after 60 days. This should give her body time to adjust to the exjade with hopefully minimal side effects. We will be watching for falling white cells as my MIL doesn’t have a lot of white cells to lose. That’s the other reason for starting at such a low dose. But we would recommend that for any drug.

Patti

helenr

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately the cost will probably help David decide to stay with the desferal. We are conserving all funds to use on Revlimid when it becomes available here.

Thanks again

Helen

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert