MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Quick question

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Quick question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JIm W

My mom was diagnosed with RAEB in January. Two courses of Vidaza, and then she was having some side effects so she opted for a month off. The doc was OK with it as the numbers seemed to be stabilizing and bruising was down. He then told her that based on the next set of bloods that it was OK to skip a second consecutive treatment. I spoke to her today and she said her bruising has been increasing and that this week she had had 3 nose bleeds. “nothing serious, but I need to be sure to let the doctor know.” Any thoughts on what increasing bruising and nose bleeds could be indicating? Thanks in advance. She is seeing him Friday so I might be able to have her ask about a few things.

Suzanne

Could mean low platelets. In other words her counts may be going down again. How often are they checking her. I would think they would want counts done once a week at least when they take her off a program like that. Might be a good idea to call the Dr. about symptoms. he/she may want her checked before Friday. Some people are more sensitive to lower counts and show this kind of symptom at higher platelets levels then others.

Terri

Bob’s plts always seem to hang in the same area 60-high 70s and He bruises alot. Maybe Your Moms are lowering as Suzanne said above. Bob’s CBC is done once aweek.

Kathryn

From my experience w/ my father, I would guess that her platelet count has dropped as well. My dad’s are so low and unstable that he has to in twice a week for bloodwork.

Best wishes,

Kathryn

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert