MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

RBC dropped again

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board RBC dropped again

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    CAR

In April 2006 my 56 year old husband was diagnosed with MDS RA after a bone marrow biobsy. His white count, platlets, blasts and chromosomes are all fine. At first B 12 and folic acid were bringing his count up. Also, we discovered that he has some hymolisis due to Hereditary Spherocytosis that is also a factor in life long anemia. To complicate things even more, he has high free iron due to a genetic defect and has to avoid all extra iron. The Hemoc is going back to see if the drop from 12.6 to 10.7 is due to hymolysis or if we need to do another bone marrow biopsy to confirm or rule out MDS.

My question to the board is if my husband has MDS and needs transfusions, can we keep it in the family? I don’t want to use the blood bank due to potential contamination. Also, I wonder about the extra iron from his genetic disorder. I suppose we’ll have to do chelation sooner then most. I know I’m getting ahead of myself. We just got the news yesterday about his drop in RBC and I’m upset right now. I know from reading the board that this disease causes a roller coaster of emotion.

Thanks for your input. We are already linked with City of Hope but put off further tests after the insurance approval believing the diagnosis was inaccurate. Now we have a big question mark again.

husband dxed 4-2006 MDS RA, Hereditary Spherocytosis, High free iron, Currently on B 12 shots and vitamin regime

Russ

Hi, Your husbands dx is different but I had asked my hem/onc about transfusions from family only and it seems it was a very complicated procedure in just the logistics of maintaining and delivering a specific blood supply. There have been horror stories in the past but the blood bank now is very safe – especially with irradiated PBRCs. With his HGB at 10.7, that is not too bad and your hemo/onc may prescribe procrit or aranesp. My guess and prayer is that he could avoid transfusions.

CAR

Thank You for the info. I know I get ahead of myself. I wish I could see all the pros and cons of blood transfusions in one place so that I could be prepared should we get there.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert