MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

rbc transfusion

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board rbc transfusion

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    maueenh
    Participant

My father has been having weekly transfusion of rbc but they have only been giving him one bag due to limited availability (he is O negative). They only transfuse him if his hct is 24 or below. I know that the low end of normal is 42. What would one tx of rbc bring his level to? He still seems so sluggish after his tx. They said unless he has chest pain he is ok for a week. Sounds scary to me.

Maureen

jaxem

maureen
    do they tx based upon hct or hemoglobin? 36 is our institutions’s low level for hct. i thought my wife got tx’d at the 0.8 hemoglobin level. 2 units usually last for two weeks while she’s on a drug like vidaza. is he sluggish the next day after tx when oral drugs have worn off?

maueenh
    Participant

Jack,

Apparently they base it on hct. I’m sure two bags would make him feel much better. What oral drugs are you referring to?

Maureen

jaxem

maureen
    institutions usually give benadryl or ativan, something that can take the edge off any reaction. my wife usually feels sluggish the same day as the hemoglobin tx but feels good the next day.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert