MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

reaction to platelets

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board reaction to platelets

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sdrake

Dad had a platelet transfusion last evening. While he was getting the first bag, he noticed his hands were itching. His lips and face started swelling, and his throat felt like it was closing. Needless to say it was a pretty uncomfortable experience. Everything turned out OK. My question is; what does this mean for any future transfusions?

Shari

eve

it means he should be premedicated before any future transfusions

tylenol, benedryl or whatever his doctor orders

eve

jga_socal

Sounds like an allergic reaction. They always made me take the 2 meds eve mentioned. I never had the reaction you described.

sdrake

Thanks for your replies. I am certain that Dad was premedicated. He has had many rbc and platelet transfusions and never had any problem. I am hoping this was just a fluke and won’t happen again.

Shari

marlene

You may want to have them slow down the rate of the platelet transfusions. One time they ran John’s in at a faster rate giving him hives from head to toe. They stopped the transfusion, gave him a steroid (two doses) and waited for the reaction to calm down. Once it was under control, they started it up again a slower rate.

After that, they upped his dosage of premeds. He never reacted that severely again. But always ended up getting some hives from his platelet transfuions.

sdrake

Thanks for information Marlene. You are right on target. Yesterday they gave Dad another platelet transfusion (they had stopped the other one when he reacted). They gave the platelets at a much slower rate and gave him extra Benedryl. Thankfully he got along without any problems. We all kind of held our breath though!

Thanks again,
    Shari

marlene

That’s good to hear…..Marlene

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert