MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Reports on the consultations.

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Reports on the consultations.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    chuckk333

I went back to Univ Mass 0n 8/30 to see Dr. Raza and to inquire about entering one of her studies that did not have any significate side effects. After taking a look at another BMB there, she recommended I start Vidaza soon. My local Hemat. suggests that as long as I am having no symptoms, I should just go on with my life as now (skiing all this winter, etc.) and postpone treatments.

A delemna–So I went to Dr. Nakamura at the City of Hope. They looked at the BMB slides, and agreed with the diagnosis. Dr. N said that he would have no problems with either approach, but if I started having infections I should start Neupogen or neulasta and if my platelets dropped below 50k (they are about 70K now) I should not ski. They have a meeting in the Dept. with all the Hemats to discuss new patients, and their consensus was that approach seemed reasonable, but I should start Vidaza treatments if there are any significant drop in my counts this winter and I should start Vidaza this Spring to delay the effects of the disease.

Some of you have asked to be kept informed on my visits

Chuck

Caroline

Chuck,

Enjoy your winter of skiing. I hope that you have lots of snow.

It is good to know that you have alot of back-up if you do start to experience any difficulties.

Blessings.
    Caroline

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert