MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Revlimid

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    LarryA

I have just found out that I have MDS and my doctor has prescribed Revlimid. Does anyone have experience with this treatment?

riccd2001
    Participant

Revlimid has shown good results for some MDS patients who have the -5q del condition (about 2 of 3 who were treated saw some benefit). I was on the 10 mg treatment cycle for 4 months but did not obtain a significant bump in Hgb; rather, lower WBC and side effect of being even more fatigued. YMMV but if you can tolerate the side effects, a six month period should be long enough to reflect any benefit. Good luck.

LarryA

Thanks, I have been warned about the tiredness.

Anneg

Hi Larry:
    First off Welcome. I was diagnosed with MDS right before xmas. Mine is most likely different from yours. Mine is due to chemo treatments for 4th stage breast cancer. I am on Vidaza infusions 5dys at the first of the month. Was not bringing my counts up enough. They added Revlimid last month to help work on the chromozone that is bad. Other than, being tired and a little more constipated. I havent had any bad side effects. Make sure you take it the same time everyday for you to get the best results. Good Luck

Anneg
    God Bless

ron baker

diag 8/11, on Revlimid since 10/11 w/ procrit thru 12/11 and predisone. tx every 3 weeks thru 12/11. still on 10mg revlimid and ceasing predisone in 2 weeks. hgb steady at 12. Had plenty of side effects thru 12/11, none since.

bobweinberg

Larry, I was on a Revlimid clinical trial in 2005. It is approved for patients who have the 5q- chromosome abnormality, which I do not have. It did not work for me and after 6 months I was taken off the trial. Do you know if you are 5q-? Has a bone marrow biopsy or aspiration been taken and a chromosome analysis done?

Revlimid works by suppressing your bone marrow, and allowing it to redevelop. The first few months your blood counts will go down, but if it is going to work, they will start going back up. For the first few days your head will itch. Ask the doctor for the special shampoo you can buy at the drug store. Also, it caused neuropathy in my feet.

LarryA

Thank you all for your input. I have MDS with -5q and began taking Revlimid 03/12. Initially there were some side effects — itching and hives—, but they have abated and now things are better. Last month I began taking Aranesp and when last measured my hgb was 10. We are hoping to raise that to 12 so the Aranesp dosage is being increased.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert