MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Revlimid PLUS Exjade ???

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Revlimid PLUS Exjade ???

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lydia

Wondering if anyone is taking Revlimid along with Exjade?

Read somewhere on this forum that someone was started on Revlimid with the expectations that the iron overload would resolve itself if tx were stopped – if Revlimid worked.

Seems that this would be taxing on the body taking 2 major drugs. Appreciate any comments.

Naomi

Hi Lydia:
    I am on revlimid, have been since 11/03. It has kept me transfusion free. I did phlebotomy for 15 months to rid my body of the excess iron. Got it down to 1885. Was put on exjade. Started on 4/5/06. Took about 3 months to get it going, as I am getting it through the VA. It took a lot of phone calls, trips, etc. to finally get it approved, but it is happening. My revlimid is still on an ongoing trial and is furnished through the drug co.
    Naomi

Carl

Lydia,

I started on Revlimid and then added Exjade but had to stop the Exjade due to watery diarreah. I have only had one transfusion in the last month (as opposed to one every week or two) since resuming the Revlimid and I hope to eventually be transfusion free. My oncologist said when I finally get stable on the Revlimid he wants me to restart the Exjade at a minimum (500 mg) dosage and work up to my recommended dose of 1750 mg.

Good luck to your Mom on the two drugs and be sure to inform your Dr. about any side effects that she may develop.

Lydia

Thank you Naomi and Carl! Very encouraging in regard to Revlimid since mom has 5q as do both of you !

Did either of you have any side effects from Revlimid and did they subside or go away?

Carl – hope also you will be tx free as I’m sure you will be. Hope you are encouraged also by Naomi’s response.

Will keep you posted on mom’s experience. Thanks again – greatly helped our stress level.

Carl

I have experienced many of the side including low WBC, RBC, platelets, itching, diarreah, tiredness and a nasal infection. He says people react differently to the drug. I am also taking Neupogen to raise my WBC count.

Naomi

Hi Lydia:
    I have had the diarrhea since the beginning. I had hive to start out with and since they have appeared occasionally. I have tinnitis that has gotten worse. Since the exjade the diarrhea has gooten worse and I use immodium to treat it. I some times wonder if some of the side effects are from getting older or from the medicine. Since the revilimid, my wbc,rbc and platelets are lower, but not to the point that the doc is worried. They are stable and seem to be so. As long as my hct is above 36 he is happy. I do try to watch to not get infections because of the lower wbc.
    Hope this helps some, but as Carl says everyone is different and reacts differently with the disease and the medications.
    Naomi

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert