MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Revlimid when Vidaza stopped working

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Revlimid when Vidaza stopped working

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    KingJohn1967

My dad has been battling MDS for 4+ year. For the past two years, he has been taking Vidaza, and last August went from 28 day treatment to 56 day treatment. His blasts were < 2%, platelets were normal, and RBC normal. He was also transfustion independent for months. Originally he thought he was in maintenance, but turns out his WBC was not recovering. The doctors started him again in 28 day treatment 12/1/08, by this time his blasts were > 14, platelets < 20, and bi-weekly transfusions and weekly platelets. he is RAEB-II. He has 3 treatments, and the doctos are recommending he stop, and try a new drug therapy, PDX-101, which is in Phase II trial.

My question, has anyone else gone from taking Vidaza when it didn’t work, to Revlimid?

jaxem

you might find people that have had success going from hypomethylating drugs such as dacogen and/or vidaza but I’d be doing research on your doc’s recommended drug. where is your father receiving treatment? how old is he?

KingJohn1967

Thanks for the post. My dad is 68 years old, and is being treated at Barnes-Jewish hospital in St Louis at the Siteman Center. The drug study is PXD-101, which is a study being done with Mayo Clinic, and Washington University is participating.

Mary4Mike
    Participant

KingJohn,

You were asking about people that have gone from Vidaza to Revlimid. My husband was on Vidaza for approximately 14 months and was transfusion free during that time. It stopped working for him and he did give Revlimid a try. He took it for close to 6 months with no improvement at all. Keep in mind that no 2 patients respond the same. This forum is a testamony to that.

Best wishes to your dad. I pray that PXD-101 is the answer for him and many more. I am wondering if it is an agent similar to vorinostat – the drug that IRA (in previous posts) had such great results with.

KingJohn1967

Mary,

Thanks for the post. Unfortunately, we received very bad news today. My dad was diagnosed with AML, his blasts are 24. He is no longer a candidate for PXD-101.

What a brutal disease. 9 months ago, he blasts were less than 2, and he was boggy boarding in the surf in the Outer Banks.

I pray your husband disease remains stable, and does not progress.

John

Mary4Mike
    Participant

John,

Do the doctors have a new plan of action for your dad?

Mary

jaxem

john
    ditto on the brutality and insidiousness of the disease. Have the blasts progressed to the peripheral blood or just in the marrow? like mary’s question, what now?

KingJohn1967

Jack,
    Mary,

Thanks for the support. My Dad has his next appointment on Monday when the doctor is suppose to provide options. He did mention either heavy chemotherapy where in the hospital for a month, or a low dose to manage AML. I am 1,000 miles away, so my sisters are going with my father.

My reading is that prognosis for AML for MDS patients is not promising. I hope my understanding is incorrect.

John

KingJohn1967

Jack,
    Mary,

My Dad start induction chemo on Monday. His blasts are at 40%, but they have not moved into side blood. He will be in the hospital for a month, then comes home before going back for stem cell.

He is in such good health otherwise, and from the outside you could never even tell he is sick. Hopefully, he is string enough to get through the chemo.

John

jaxem

john
    as I’ve stated before, no difference between mds & aml, just the level of blasts get above 20% w/ aml. "going back for stem cell" means he’s going for a transplant? got to get the blasts down as much as possible to assure the best chance for a successful transplant. where is he getting his treatments?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert