MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

RIC

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    andrzej g.

So it is. My father was admitted to hospital for the transplant procedure on Monday. Reduced Intensity Conditioning consists of busulphan, fludarabine and alemtuzumab (Campath). Till today no serious adverse signs. Temporarily mild fever responding to metamisol. PSCT transplant from his sister – Juli 7th. Sister is 59 yo, a mother of two children.
    Her peripheral stem cell mobilization begins on Juli 3rd.
    He’s probably a first patient of 66/67 yo who undergoes such a therapy in Poland. Whatever happens I’m proud of him he made up his mind to fight on.

Suzanne

We will be thinking of him and hoping that he wins his fight!

gemloyear

Andrzej, Your Dad will be in our thoughts and prayers. we hope that the procedure will be successful for your Dad.
    Ellie

shirlsgirl

Andrzej,

Your Dad is a fighter…he’s going to do great! Glad to hear that things are going well so far. Please keep us posted. smile

Jody

geebeebee

Andrzej,

Yes, your Dad is courageous to take this head on. It does provide hope, which is a good thing.

I’ll be thinking of you guys and wishing for the best. Please do keep in touch as to how he’s doing.

Greg

kristyk

Andrzej

Your Dad is a pioneer! Good Luck and keep us posted!

Kristy

andrzej g.

Thank You…

My Dad has had no more fever for the last two days, however he got some itching rash that receded after introducing an antihistaminic drug.

I would have a question to you guys.
    Who in the US is responsible for the accommodation of the family donors during their five-day course of peripheral stem cell mobilization before the transplant? Are the donors either admitted to the hospital or treated as outpatients who just come to the clinic eg twice a day?
    I would be grateful for the answers.

gemloyear

Andrzej, Would you please give me the name of the antihistaminic drug? my husband has had two outbreaks of the rash, was prescibed benedryl and tylenol which did not help very much.I have noticed in the posts several people with the rashes,regardless of the meds taken or the type of MDS. It almost seems as thou the rashes go with the Mds??He was already on prednisone which helped with the itching, but he had the rash and then the scalding all over burnt look. It then runs its course. would appreciate any info or suggestions you can give.
    Ellie

Kathryn

Andrzej, I just wanted to send you & your dad my best wishes. I hope that things continue to go well for him. Please keep us posted.

Take care,

Kathryn

Jimbob

Andrzej,
    It may be different at other hospitals, but when my brother came in as a donor, we had him as our home. We would have anythow, but no other accommodations were available. Even immediate family members (spouse, children, whatever) don’t get accommodations like McDonalds House. Some can use a sleeping room at the hospital occassionaly or, more likely stay in the room in a lounge chair or foldout bed. If one has an RV, there is a free place to park a limited number. Also, the social services dept does provide a list of low cost motels, and apartments that family memebers can try to get. Patient undergoing BMT/SCT must have housing withhin 20 minutes of hospital for 6 months after procedure to even be considered.
    On the other hand they did tell me that a donor does not HAVE to come to the center at all. A donor can make the donation at an approved hospital anywhere and have thhe stem cells ship overnight.
    I hope and pray that all goes well for your father. It is a big decision but the only one that I know that is supposed to be a cure.
    Jim

PAG2005

Andrzej,

I wish your dad the best and he will be in my prayers. Pat

Ani

Andrzej,

My best wishes and prayers for your courageous father. May he feel hope and peace in the days/weeks ahead.My thoughts are also with you during this difficult time.
    Ani

Ani

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert