MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Rough time for Dad

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Rough time for Dad

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    sdrake

Dad had his spleen radiated in January. It really seemed to help, and Dad was much more comfortable. Since that time his platelets have been very low. He has needed several transfusions of rbc’s and platelets. The platelets only last a short time. Now on top of all that he has Influenza A and pneumonia. The pneumonia seems to be clearly up somewhat, but he is needing daily transfusions. They are checking for internal bleeding, but so far find none. Can any one give me any insight as to why the need for so many transfusions. Could it be because his body is fighting the flu and pneumonia? I just talked with him, and he is pretty down.

Thanks and my best to all of you,
    Shari

eve

whenever my dad had an infection and was hospitalized he always needed several rbc txs until they got his blood to a safe level – i would be more concerned with the infections than the number of txs needed

good luck
    eve

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert