MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Running out of funds

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Running out of funds

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    danz

I had MDS. I was diagnosed with MDS-RA April 2003. I suffered from the disease until I had a BMT April 2004. My final diagnosis was MDS-RAEB. I am in my 15th month post-BMT. I now have GVHD, which is attacking my liver. This has been controlled my medications. So, basically I’m fine now.

My only problem now is getting back to work. My doctor just doesn’t want to give me a release to return to work. Strange, but true, I am considering getting a court ordered release. I hope it doesn’t come to that.

Has anyone in this forum experienced something like this, and what did you do?

Sandy L

What is the doctor’s objection in returning to work? Does he feel that you putting yourself at risk of catching something from the work environment?

Hope you get some answers soon. You sound very frustrated. I will keep you in my prayers.

patti

Danz,

I see two options to consider. One, contacting an employment lawyer and asking him if you have any legal avenues for getting back to work (ie. second opinion, etc). Two, have you considered checking into some form of disability? I have to tell you, I am a die hard red stater and don’t like government programs because I think most are abused, but I do believe there are cases where they are needed and are appropriate and I would consider your case one of those. You might check with Social security adminstration to see what the requirements are for disbility. But first, if you feel like returning to work health wise, I would seek a second opinion.

Good luck.

patti

John in GR

I suggest a second opinion from another doctor.

John

shirlsgirl

yeah, I agree with John. If your wbc’s aren’t too low and you feel okay to go back, I don’t understand why your Doc doesn’t want you to work. Perhaps a second opinion would be helpful?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert