MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Runx1 MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Runx1 MDS

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Krista Sie
    Participant

My dad was dx with high risk MDS, age 79. He has had one round of Dacogen. 3 weeks after that first treatment he required 3 transfusions in 5 days and was also experiencing a low grade fever at that time. In the last 2 weeks, he has developed shortness of breath. Any suggestions/info on this type of MDS, his shortness of breath and/or the use of dacogen?

Donna
    Participant

RUNX1 is one of my mutations also. I have 3 more (ASXL1, TET2 and SRSF2). My understanding is that it is not a MDS type but a gene mutation that some people with MDS may have. There is talk of me starting Dacogen soon and I have been told that your counts will drop the first couple/few rounds and that you don’t really know if it working or not until a few rounds are completed. That is probably why he needed the transfusions. I am not transfusion dependent now but I was told I may have to go to my local hospital for platelets, red blood cells or whatever in between cycles if needed. I think the shortness of breath is sometimes low hemoglobin. WBC and platelets are my main problem. I wish your Dad well. I will be curious on how he does. Is RUNX1 his only mutation?
    Donna

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert