MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Sesame/pineapple questions

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Sesame/pineapple questions

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    hmblume

1. data: I tried an (under)dosing of black sesame seeds with sliced pineapple for a month with significant positive results. In 2005 my platelet counts had been 59, 64, 70, 61, 58, 50, 52, 56, start of trial rising to 68 after a month.

2. Questions: a) does this dietary additive create more platelets initially or does it increase their longevity in the blood?? b) would a “bleeding test” (a controlled slash in the forearm with the bleeding timed) show improved results. I. e. would this ‘artificial’ increases in platelets produce improved resistance to nosebleeds, etc.? and bottom line c) (as a CMML patient, conversion of chronic status to acute AML is a threat) Would the increased platelet count tend to defer the onset of a conversion from chronic to acute?? also d) is the immune response system affected?

I will ask my hematologists over the next couple of months. I now take once daily a teaspoon of black sesame seeds with a 5/8 inch thick slice of 1/3 of a pineapple (perhaps 2-3 tablespoons of pineapple). The earlier recommenders of this diet ‘juice’ their pineapple and consume much more pineapple. After another month I will likely increase my dose. However, my main question is whether the higher platelet count is something fundamental or just a correlating indicator.

gemloyear

Hmblume, I wouldn’t try that slash the forearm “test”. There’s easier approved ways of timing bleeding, the lab INR test for coagulation
    time. I don’t know that the rise in platelets would make a difference in any resistance to nose bleeds or bleeding from cuts etc.My husband had low platelets for several years Itp. dr. removed his spleen in hopes that would resolve the platelet count,as they thought the spleen was destroying his platelets.A 70 % chance that the platelets would come back, it didn’ work. At one point the platelets were down to 11000, and then in the 20000’s, after a year or so in the 30000 range. In july of this year over 120000,250000, and now 305000 !!No one has a good explanation for this. By the way his nosebleeds and bruising have resumed.It’s not from lack of humidity as our home is usually 60 % . The platelets don’t seem to affect the immune system. His immune system has not improved. I do know that the various nasaids and chemo can destroy the platelets and cause ITP.He was taking Aranesp from mar. 05 until nov., the Dr. stopped it because of chronic headaches,a side affect. He also had blood clots in his legs, another side affect, which have disappeared for now. he is taking blood thinners to prevent the clots which are gone for now. It’s strange that none of these things have affected his platelets, they haven’t dropped.I have a fear that the improved level of platelets may be artifical?? At one time I thought his mds was evolving to CMMl.With his last bmb his classification was changed to RAEB-1 evolving to aml. So his now normal platelets have nothing to do with defering the AML. We have avoided seeds and herbal treatments so far because of gastric problems. I wish you luck in trying your study of the affects of the seeds and pineapple on the platlets.I don’t really know if anyone has determined if the platelets have any affect on the progression of mds to AML. This probably does’nt help you much, this is just our own experience with this rotten disease.
    Ellie

Neil

Would keep in mind that the equipment used to measure platelets is accurate within 15,000 units on counts between 50,000 and 500,000.
    There are tests that will determine your clotting ability that are safe. No need to use a knife.
    Platelet quantity and quality are something of a mystery to most docs.
    Why is it that a person with a plt count of lets say 75000 can experience bleeding, bruising and clotting issues while a person with a count of 10,000 can be asymptomatic?
    In my case I have a series of abnormal cells that are cloning and produce abnormal plts that are identified, killed and disposed of in a normal process. There is still a line of cells that produces enough normal plts that permit me to get by with no symptoms with a count that has been 10,000 for about 6 years. Have had readings in the 6000 range for the last month or so.
    Have tried pineapple, black sesame seeds, noni capsules and a variety of supplements that have not provided any increase in counts.
    Would think that the individual circumstances each patient experiences may explain why there are so many variations between patients. One may find plt quantity is the primary factor while another the plt quality is more significant.
    Plt life seems to be around 5 days, but there are situations where a TX has extended my higher counts for as long as 10 days. Not really sure why.
    Would plt count have an influence on the transformation to AML. Would doubt it, but again there are enough variations between patients, perhaps there might be an influence.
    As a rule blasts are a primary consideration.
    There is a ton of other information that we could discuss and still never reach a conclusion that would satisfy any 5-6 people. That is what is so difficult in trying to compare MDS patients. Particularly those with RAEB and CMML

Jack_dup1

We all react differently. For me, platelet count does affect bleeding. I do repair work on Toxic Gas analyzers and it is not abnormal to get small cuts and nicks which is normal for anyone who works with tools, I can usually tell if my platelets are low, just by how much I bleed from small scratches. Like Neil said, we are all different, my WBC is 41000 and I have no symptoms, someone else at that number could have a real problem. I have read that the main reason for juicing is to get the enzymes that are quickly destroyed by ambient air, some have even said that the type of juicer makes a difference, for instance, a centrifical juicer forces air into the pineapple which decreases the enzymes. It is hard to know what to believe, just because someone wrote it, does not make it fact. I have not heard of someone with MDS progressing to CMML, since CMML is in the MDS, MPD category.
    Jack

patti

Hmblume,

Ummm. I think slashing your arm is not be a good idea! As for the pineapple, my limited understanding (and my MIL is doing this) is that it actually increases platelet quantity – not quality. The “artificial” increase completely stopped mom’s bleeding episodes so I don’t think how the platelets are increased matters a whole lot. And, as others have said, everyone’s bleeding threshhold is different. Mom starts bleeding around 14,000. Our new naturapath just said no to the noni capsules mom was on because there is some really conflicting research. She told us they actually contributed to a number of deaths but I can’t remember the method for that happening. Don’t look for anything encouraging if you run this all by your doctor. *Most* physicians will tell you your nutty for thinking the pineapple and sesame seeds are helping. Doesn’t matter what the tests say. Unless you’re dying for a lot of laughter from your doctor I’m not sure it’s worth even saying anything.

Glad to hear your platelets are going up.

Patti

Jack_dup1

Patti,
    In regards to the Noni capsules, that is a harsh fact to throw out without more info. A lot of people will instantly stop taking them. I don’t disagree with you, but would like more facts.
    Thanks,
    Jack

Jimbob

I agree with Patti about most physicians’ point of view about pineapple and sesame seeds. Most don’t seem to think that anything in your diet affects your health much or your blood specificaly yet they often want you to stop taking various natural thing because they think that they might interfere with prescribed meds. For crying out loud, as with almost anything, garbage in leads to garbage out.
    I did use black sesame seeds and pineapple juice to increase plateletes. It was efective and did about as good a job as getting tx’d with plateletes.
    I am having trouble with my keyboard and want to post opther replies. Anyone know how to control double entry keys? My computer is curently not alowing me to type double anything and I have to go back and corect constantly.

patti

Hi Jack,

I was trying to remember exactly what she said but couldn’t get my brain to go. We should be seeing the naturapath in the next week or two and I will ask her to repeat what the deal was with the noni capsules so I can let you know. I will make sure to write down exactly what she says so I can be complete. I thought about that when I was writing the first time but decided I was trying to make a point to hmblume so I’d go ahead and throw it in. I will get back to you on the noni stuff as soon as we see her.

Patti

diner

Jimbob and everyone else, I’ve been afraid to try the pineapple thing because I am almost constantly with mouth sores. I have to really watch what I eat. I wish I knew the solution to the platelets. I’m sure I’ll need more today (almost weekly). Mine have been down to 3,000 many times and it’s scary.
    I start my 2nd week of my 4th cycle of Vidaza today. My platelets were obviously too low to get the shot last week and I had the shot in my stomach. The whole 1/2 of my stomach is literally bruised. It had a huge lump in it but is getting better (stomach still real sore, esp. to try and bend). UGH
    Jimbob I don’t know how to fix a keyboard except spray with a cleaner, or I just got another one for my granddaughter at the Goodwill for $2.99. They had a lot of nice ones and it works great. Sure hope I start getting some better results with my shots. Dee

bhanson

Hi everyone and hope you all had a nice weekend. Diner, my husband was going to give up pineapple because of the sore mouth. So, I juiced the pineapple and gave him a straw. Hi could put the straw as far back in his mouth as he wanted to avoid the acidic effect of the pineapple. The only problem is now, he LOVES his pineapple and drinks a whole one a day. We showed the noni to our naturopath and she said it was fine to take. Thats all I know about that. My husbands platelets are holding steady. Best regarts and thanks to you all.
    Bernard and Bonnie

Jack_dup1

Patti,
    Thanks for responding, I take Noni capsules daily,so when I see the word death associated with them, it tends to get my attention.
    Thanks,
    Jack

patti

Jack,

Sorry about that. I know it struck me hard when she said that also. I found out today I’ll be talking to her this week on the phone at the very least and I will find out for you. I just know she was pretty animate that mom stop the noni right away because of that, but I know it has helped some people here. So, I’ll let you know what she says.

Patti

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert