MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

sibling match stem cell transplant

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board sibling match stem cell transplant

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    deb m

hi all,
    looking for some positive feedback! my young 67-yo dad was dx with MDS RAEB I a few months ago. he is going in for a SCT wtih a 10/10 matched sibling next month. he has responded well to two rounds of dacogen. things are looking good. he is feeling pretty good and has a great attitude. any success stories with SCT?
    thanks!
    deb

jaxem

deb
    he is very, very lucky to have a donor as 60% never find one. I am very happy for you and hope all goes well with his recovery.

deb m

thanks, jack. i didn’t realize that so many never find a donor! i thought it was just a matter of time before one would be found if you didn’t have a siblling match. i guess he’s really lucky! he has three brothers and one was a perfect match.
    deb

deb m

just a quick update. my dad had the transplant about 32 days ago. he is doing very well so far. he is at the hope lodge near the transplant unit as he has to go in for infusions of magnesium and saline every day. his blood counts are looking very good. we are cautiously optimistic!
    deb

deb, my mom of 49 also had a transplant this month. stem cell to be exact. A mini tranplant because she was in remission at the time. Did your dad have a full or mini tranplant? Also what side effect did he experience from the chemo and does he still have any side effect 32 days? Its been two week after my moms transplant and she still has nasuea and some dirreah. Prayers go out to you, your father, and your family.

deb m

hi Tamie,
    i think my dad had the full transplant. i wondered about that, but they never said mini so i assume it was not mini. he did have some nausea and diarrea but that is gone now. they were able to control the nausea fairly well but the anti-nausea meds made him sleepy. he is doing well now at 33 days. he is just really really tired! and his blood pressure is low since he can’t seem to keep hydrated. they give him saline every day.
    thanks for your prayers! i’ll pray for you and your mom, too.
    deb

jaxem

deb
    i think your dad had the “mini”. at 67, going for an ablative would be horrendous for him. don’t get me wrong, the mini isn’t a walk in the park. the transplant part is the same for either but the difference is in the preparation prior to the actual transplant.

deb m

i did wonder about that. he did two rounds of dacogen before the STC and he was down to 2% blasts going in. he did 4 days (i think) of chemo and his WBC got down to almost nothing.

he got his blood counts and BMB results today:
    WBC 5.51
    Hemo 9.9
    Platlets 141
    the stem cells have taken over 97% and his blasts are 1%.
    so things are looking good. he is feeling pretty good but his blood pressure is still low and he needs infusions of magnesium and the saline.

jaxem

deb
    looks like he’s on his way, the right way. those are good #’s. good luck to him!

deb m

thanks, Jack.
    i keep watching for your posts and hoping that your wife gets her cord SCT. how is she doing with the dacogen and valproic acid?
    deb

jaxem

deb
    just completed her 3rd round of administration. now we wait about 3 weeks & do a bmb to see if this protocol worked or not. the VPA is at the highest dose for the drug; made her very tired. after the nadir, counts should rise in about 2 weeks. keep us up-to-date on the progress of your husband.

deb m

hi Jack,
    i’ll be praying for some great news for your wife in 3 weeks. a few percentage points is not too much to ask! smile
    my dad (not husband) is doing very well at the moment. his doctor says he’s one of her best patients. we feel so very very blessed to have him doing so well!
    deb

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert