MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Some info on my dad…bit of venting

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Some info on my dad…bit of venting

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    karenkay

First, he is being transfered to Loyola when a bed becomes available. He will have a different primary doctor and a hemotologist who actually sees him. That is good news. I also spoke with Kathy and we went over his medical records and discovered a few things. He is RCMP under the WHO classification. No blasts, and his main problem right now is the hemoglobin. He is being treated right now with aranesp, weekly, not biweekly. He has some iron buildup problems and the 2 recent transfusions probably don’t help that situation.
    I want to say that unless I had sought help via the internet, I would not have been able to make heads or tails of any of this information, so I am very grateful for all the assistance; Neil I understand why everyone missed you while you were gone for a while. Sounds like you and my dad have a lot in common medically (MDS and Diabetes II). I will look into contacting the doctor you recommended and I am learning much from the info you sent me.
    It is frustrating for me when we (Kathy and I) were so careful to take the time to ask his prim. doctor pertinent questions in writing and orally and to have her say, “I don’t know, ask the oncologist [who hasn’t actually seen my dad in over 6 weeks]”. Then, lo and behold, we find many answers ourselves by combing through his records. I would just think his prim. doctor would have read them as well.
    Please keep my dad in your prayers and hope with me that the experience at Loyola will be better, one with open communication and that the best interest of my dad will be served.
    Blessing,
    Karen

Kathryn

Karen,

Good for you, not to mention your father, for your going through his records. You really have to be an advocate. Prior to an appointment, I faxed a 22 page report from my daughter’s evaluation to a neurologist so that he would be prepared. At our appointment he sat down and said “what can I do for you?”…. It was obvious he hadn’t read the report and I really needed his guidance. That day I switched doctors. It is very concerning how some doctors can be, especially when you are dealing w/ such delicate situations. It forces you to take the bull by the horns…..

I hope that everything goes well at Loyola for your father. With you looking out for his best interests, I am sure it will be fine. I’ll be praying for him.

Take care,

Kathryn

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert