MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

some interesting changes – to say th least

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board some interesting changes – to say th least

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    patti

We had mom’s blood checked this week again to see where her white cells were at. They had dropped back again to what they’ve been all year – 1900. However, her platelets jumped to 97,000. She has never had more than 18K since being diagnosed. What is going on here? We thought maybe her bone marrow is trying to kick out some good cells but once it does it can’t seem to keep them. I also just read on another post that platelets can also go up with AML? So, I’m a little confused. The naturapath saw mom on tuesday and said she is very very weak and that in the 3 weeks since mom’s last appt. with her there’s been a big downturn. So, I guess nothing really got resolved. The naturapath contacted our oncologist and requested more blood work on tuesday so I guess we’ll see if there’s another chnage then. Until then, we just keep playing the wondering game. frown

So much going on for other folks right now. I wish you all well as the struggles continue.

Best wishes,

Patti

CarolineG

All the best as you continue waiting, Patti.

I continue to keep you in my prayers.

Caroline

Neil

Hi Patti,
    Don’t think a jump in platelets has a connection to AML. I would love to see an increase like that.
    The determining factor will be with her next CBC. See where they are then.
    This is a pretty big increase, but when you consider there is a teaspoonfull of platelets in ones body it makes one wonder. A good chance they were not evenly distributed thru her bloodstream and the sample picked up a spot where they were concentrated. Also possible she experienced some clumping.
    Another possibility is there was some overlap with the Neupogen. It might have stimulated some platelet growth along with the WBC. I get that overlap with Procrit. My WBC and platelets increase a bit shortly after I get a shot. Lasts about a week or soand returns to my expected level. Rare but it happens.
    In any event the inctease is a lot better than a decrease.

patti

Thanks, Neil. God has certainly been teaching me patience this past few weeks. Nothing is making sense and I’m having to just wait it out – which drives my control freak brain nuts!

Thank you for the explanation about platelets. I had never heard that platelets can go up with AML until reading it on this forum the other day. The clumping makes sense too. At least for now we’ve got platelets, for which I’m relieved to not have to worry about bleeding.

Patti

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert