MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Somewhat better; ? about headaches

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Somewhat better; ? about headaches

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ensnee

Another long day at PMH on Tuesday. Unfortunately, Hans’ white count went up again, & he needed more chemo. Another largish dose of Ara-C, given over 3 hours this time (apparently it’s stays in the blood longer this way) plus a dose of Etopiside. He was give a dose of steroid in between to avert the side effects of last week, plus a stronger anti-nausea med, prescribed Celebrex for 24 hrs — and it’s worked. No fever of sickness. He is also taking Etopiside in pill form for 4 days, and Dr. Schuh also added 400 mg/day of Gleevec to give the chemo a boost. This is a larger dose than during the study Hans was in last summer, which added 300 mg of Gleevec with re-induction.

We were feeling rather low until Dr. Schuh came in later in the day. He is an amazingly positive & encouraging being! He talked about having to tinker with chemo dosages and types right now in order to keep the white count at a reasonable level. He shows absolutely no sign of giving up on Hans. We always feel better after talking with him.

I have a question about headaches — does anyone know anything about the prevalence of headaches as part of the disease? Hans is suffering from pretty bad headaches with pain in his sinuses abouve his nose and in the spot where the spine and head meet. I’m worried that it might be caused by bleeding in his head, though nobody else seems to be too concerned. However, I don’t really think he is emphasizing them to the staff.
    He did have similar headaches last year the first time he was in hospital, and they eventually got better when he was getting anti-fungal meds.

Boy, I am so tired! The roller-coaster continues…

hugs,
    Esme

Terri

Prayers are still coming hope Hans starts doing better. Don’t have any answers for you on the headaches thou, would definately ask the dr

Sandy L

Hi Esme,

Of course you are tired……I do hope that things get better soon and that Hans is back to feeling great.

Thinking about you!

Ensnee

Tnanks Sandy & Terri, prayers right back at ya! wink

DonUK

Hi Esme – you should make a point of telling the docs about this I think. It sounds like Hans is not one for moaning unless he is really ill. Best nip it in the bud now. There are fungal infections that can get everywhere.

Take care
    Don

Ensnee

Thanks, Don. I think you are right on every count.

How are you doing these days?

hugs,
    Esme

Kathy G

It is good that you have a doctor with such a positive spirit – it helps so much. I believe it can make a difference. Hopefully it’s the chemo that is making him feel so lousy and numbers so bad – praying that the chemo is doing it’s thing.
    Hang in there and get some rest.

Kathy G

patti

Esme,

I think Don is right. Should check the headache thing out. If it’s not anything but normal headaches related to treatment, try Natures Sunshine’s APSII. It is a natural COX-2 inhibitor. Also, the headaches in the sinus area will be quickly relieved (assuming it’s not something related to his illness) by bromelain. That is an amazing enzyme and sinus headaches go away quick when one takes it.

Hang in there. You’d be wonder woman if you weren’t tired. Although, you sound like wonder woman even when tired! Do you have the suit that goes with wonder woman? Maybe you ought too! smile Just a little humor. smile

Take care of yourself.

Patti

Jimbob

Esme,
    I have been prone to sinus infections and headaches like you have described. Just went thru such a period. My regular doc prescribed an antibiotic Omnicef which seemed to work. Then my acupuncturist got all upset and said next time to see her first as she could take care of it without drugs and she felt that most sinus problems were viral and antibiotics were as good as a placebo. Either way, seems to be clearing up quickly now. Next time I’ll try her first.
    Jim

Jack_dup1

I also get sinus type headaches, I got myself in trouble a couple weeks ago by taking to much ibuprofen which lowered by platelets, they seem to be slowly increasing again, it’s strange, my WBC has slowly but steadly increased the last 3 years from 3.2 to 45.8, in the last 2 weeks it has gone down to 34.3. Who knows what the next counts will be, this disease is such a tease.
    Jack

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert