MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Start of a great adventure

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Start of a great adventure

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi all

We arrived in Seattle Monday to start the work-up for a BMT in late May. The first thing I was told at the first appointment was that we had lost our donor for 6 months at least. Ergo we are going to have to find a new one. Given that I am a common type, this should only delay the process a month. Doesn’t do a whole lot for me as we have put the motorhome into storage and checked into the Marriot. But we can check out and go back on the road for a month. That was 2pm on Tuesday.

By 4pm, I was getting a transfusion and the PA comes in and says they really don’t like the CBC results. There is a category called unspecified cells with a reading that there are blasts, first time. So we are going to go through with the work-up and do another BMB tomorrow. Should get the results by Friday or Monday. If the CBC is false, then we wait for a match. If it is true then we will go with the best mismatch we can and there may be a chance for a perfect match from France. The Hutch thinks that we have to act before this thing goes to full blown AML. We agree.

Stress anyone?

Doreene, good luck to you! I have a good idea about what you are experiencing.

Bill

shirlsgirl

Bill,

Anxious to hear how your BMB goes today. Crossing my fingers that there are no blasts.

Hoping for a perfect match from France.

Hang in there.

Take care,Jody

doreen

Hello. If I learn anything from this disease it will be to be flexible. There have been so many set backs with me and consider this something that will work out the best for you Bill. I dont think they can really tell you about the blasts unless they do a bmb? My doctor told me that they have to be 20 percent to be AML. Mine were 6.78 percent. Last year at this time they were 3 percent. We really cannot determine how fast it turns to AML but I determined that I don’t want to wait to find out either. I hope the BMB gives you some good news and maybe you can go back out in your motorhome and enjoy some more time off. You both take care and don’t worry, it will all work out. I’ll say a prayer for you Bill.

Jimbob

Bill,
    Praying that things will work out for you quickly so you and Mary can get on enjoying your travels together for a long time to come.
    Jim

Lolam

I hope it all goes well for you. I am also having a BMT at the hutch as soon as the insurance company okays the procedure and the typing.That won’t begin until June 1st. I also am concerned that it might progress to AML before I get the chance. I will be waiting to hear how it all goes for you….an advantage for me….to know what to expect…you being the forerunner!!

God bless as you wait for all the details to be worked out.

Nanxy

Bill, I am praying for you… Two weeks ago I checked into Stanford to prepare for the BMT. We had another BMB and then met with the transplant doctor. I had progressed to AML and now am having chemo to try to get into remission to have the transplant. My advise is to try to have the BMT as soon as possible. This AML develops quickly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert