MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

STEMCELL COLLECTION

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board STEMCELL COLLECTION

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    HarleyMan01

HELL, i RECENTLY WENT THROUGH 6 DAYS OF STEM CELL COLLECTION BUT MY BONE MARROW DIDN`T GIVE UP AS MANY AS THE DOCTOR WAS HOPING FOR. aNY HAVE THIS PROBLEM BEFORE AND IF SO WHAT WOULD BE ANOTHER ALTERNITIVE FOR PRODUCING MORE?

bhanson

Hi, The only information I have earmarked on the stem cell collection was found in the Kansas City Star. They talk about giving you drugs to produce more stem cells. Is this the same procedure you are undergoing? I thought it sounded interesting, also. Here is the address of the article, along with a link for more information.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/livinghealth/13393858.htm

We would be interested in knowing more about your procedure. Thank you, Bernard and Bonnie

bhanson

I looked on the address above and it didn’t come up to the same as mine. The article was printed on Dec. 13, 2005 if that helps. Bhanson

bhanson

Egads, The article won’t come up without paying for it, but I can E-mail it to you. It is titled “Drug Duo: New Hope in cancer fight.” The study was presented at the Hematological Meeting in Atlanta. The Dr. is Joseph P. McGuirk, Oncology and Hematology at the Kansas City Cancer Center. Address is: 4320 Wornall RD, Suite 220
    Kansas City, MO 64111 Tel. 816-531-1417

He is using AMD3100 and Neupogen to coax more stem cells out of your own bone marrow. They then freeze it until they have collected enough. Then you have a stem cell transplant of your own cells. It sounds like it might take more than one collection, but it sounds promising. I understand that trials are going on with this. Let us know, Thanks, Bernard and Bonnie

Ani

My son in law had a stem cell transplant of his OWN cells in April 2005.He first had daily injections of a growth hormone for two weeks then the harvesting, followed by the transplant several days later after all the “nasty cells” were dead from chemo,however this was NOT for any MDS dsorder but Plasmacytoma, don’t know if that is relevant here.
    Shalom
    Ani

Jimbob

My brother was given a shot of Neupogen a day for 4 days before the stem cells were harvested from his periphial blood. They actually got 2 full bags so they would have a back-up just in case the first SCT failed.

bhanson

Hi, the article mention that the patients that McGuirk reported on had cancers of the lymph nodes or bone marrow, diseases such as multiple myeloma, acute myelogenous leukemia or Hodgkin’s disease. So, he did mention bone marrow. In order to read the whole report you would have to go to the Dec. 13 meeting in Atlanta and look it up, I guess. It would be great if it worked on MDS. Good luck. Bonnie and Bernard

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert