MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Swelling of face with Revlimid

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Swelling of face with Revlimid

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    choijk

Hi Friends,
    I am so sorry to keep bothering you all. I just don’t know who to turn to. My father is currently on 10 mg Revlimid and so far its only been 6 days. But every other day, we keep encouterin a new adventure.

Today, his face is swollen; really swollen; especially by his eye and forehead area. He also says that he has the itchy scalp.

He also has some kind of rash on both his arms (forearms) which sort of look like baby shingles about to form, or perhaps a rash. I keep coming here for answers, to see if other patients have experienced the same side effects.

I’ve emailed my doctor but he doesnt’ come in until tomorrow. Plus, I don’t even know if my work schedule will permit me to take my father ot the hospital.

Did anyone experience the swelling of the face with Revlimid????

When does the side effects go away? I’m just so miserable seeing my father so miserable and helpless. Please anyone help…….

stacey

Chojk,

Don’t think you are bothering any of us– please post as often as you want. I never had swelling of any kind with revlimid, but I did have a couple of only minor, dry (scaly), less than one inch patches of skin mainly on my upper arms which were non-bothersome. I was also initially on a 10 mg dosage.

I don’t want to overly worry you at all, and please take this with a grain of salt, but I did have some concerns about hearing of the face swelling since it sounded more like an allergic reaction and I don’t remember reading any past posts about that side effect. I googled the side effects of revlimid (lenalidomide), and a yahoo health website has swelling of the face listed under “signs of an allergic reaction” (see http://health.yahoo.com/drug/d05696a1). I would highly recommend calling your doctor’s office again to push for some kind of direction or a trip to the hospital, since they may want to temporarily discontinue your dad’s medicine– you’ll have to see what they decide to do. I do hope he starts feeling better very soon.
    Take care,
    -Stacey

choijk

Stacey,
    Thank you for your post!!! What a nightmare it has been. So after I wrote this post yesterday sometme around 8 p.m. I decided to research about face swelling and Revlimid. I couldn’t find anything so I put in lenalidomide and my gosh… I found the same thing you found. To make the long story short, my father was admitted to the ER earlier this morning as his face swelling got worse. In the morning he also had hives all over his body and was looking very bad.

At the er, he was given some kind of shot and was given Prenistone (?), some kind of steroids. Now the Revlimid is on hold and we go see our oncologist tomrorow on a rush basis.

I was praying praying praying that this is what would put my father transfusions free, but I guess it was wishful thinking….. I’ll let you know what our oncologist recommends tomrorow.

Thanks Stacey. God bless.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert