MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Thank you/ swelling

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Thank you/ swelling

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kathryn

Hey everyone,this is a two part post.

First I would like to let you all know how much I appreciate the support, encouragement and advice I have rec’d. from this forum during the short time I have been a member. It was recommended on the Leukemia Soc. forum and I am so thankful that I followed the lead. You all have been so wonderful.

My father finished his 1st round of Vidaza last Sunday and has done remarkably well. I am still not to the point of saying “whew, we made it”, but I have found so much hope through your support and seeing my father’s strength and determination. He is fighting like a lion, but w/out the roar. He has been very quiet, but is even more so today. I spent a few hours w/ him so my step-mother could run some errands and he said maybe 10 words. It was fine because I was home and was w/ him. I know how bad he is feeling. After his nap he amazed me by lifting some 2 lb. weights while he was sitting and then walking laps around the house. He is definitely giving it his all. He doesn’t want to stop moving no matter how nauseated and weak he is. Anyway, today I noticed that his ankles & feet were quite swollen. I pointed it out to my step-mother when she returned and she made him put them up. They were apparently not like that this morning. Is this a side effect of the Vidaza or the cancer… or both? I read a previous post that definitely concerned me a bit regarding the Vidaza, but I wanted to consult w/ you all to get more info.. The doc. gave him some med. for gout, but this is effecting more than his joints. We were warned that today was supposed to be one of the roughest, but I don’t think anyone mentioned this kind of swelling.

As always, your insight is very much appreciated.

Kathryn

Terri

Kathryn, Last Year Bob had a bout with Bad swelling in his Ankles, His feet and ankles looked like one big stump. Not sure if it was the Vidaza or what since he was on it then, But Dr office suggested wrapping them with Ace Bandages, In stead I bought him Supression socks, He at first just wore them at night and kept his feet up as much as he could. He also wore them out to the doctors. Drinks a lot of water, Eventually they went down and we haven’t had that problem since. Not sure what it was from. The Cmpression/Supression socks I got at a local drug store but you have to measure lenghth and diameter of the leg and foot etc. I would check with his doctor.

God Bless

susan rose

Kathryn,
    My Dad also had incredible swelling on his legs/ankles. He had finished his first round of Vidaza and began retaining fluid over the next weeks. Although the MD’s prescribed Lasix(diuretic), he passed away soon after on 4/1/2005 before it could help. It is impossible to know if the swelling/retaining water was due to the blood disorder, treatment or his heart problem. He kept telling us the week he passed that he felt his body/organs were shutting down. He seemed to know the end was near. Best of luck.

sarah

Kathryn, My husband too has had swelling of ankles mostly, several times since dx’d. Drs never could explain why? Heating pad seemed to work better for him than ice. I could not understand that.

Kathryn

I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks!

I spoke w/ my stepmother and she said that she thought they looked a little better. He has had them up since I left and they put ice packs on them. Thankfully he has a doc. appointment on Monday, so they will be able to get it checked out then. I will mention the socks to her as well.
    I was a little shocked w/ how swollen they were. He had sandals on and the swelling was puffing up between the straps and you couldn’t see his ankle bones. He is nothing but skin & bones, so it was quite apparent how swollen they were.

Susan Rose, I appreciate your input and I am so sorry about your father. This has been one of my greatest concerns. My father also has a bit of a heart condition. He had 5 bypasses 21 years ago and has congestive heart disease.

Best wishes to all,

Kathryn

mommachkate

Kathryn, My husband, George has had really bad swelling of his feet, and a doctor said it is due to the leucemia. He said because of the blood condition the heart has to work harder , causing the water retention. I hope your father feeling better and the Vidaza treatment will help him. Best wishes Kate

gemloyear

Hi kathryn, My husband has also had a great deal of swelling, I wonder if it go’s with the autoimmue diseases? his feet and legs were terribly swollen this winter, for over a month.He was given lasix to rid the excess fluid. He was given infusion treatments in the hosp. and he had an allergic reaction to penicillan., all of which retain fluid.I guess every time he takes a new med. I expect the swelling!!Good luck with your fathers treatments.
    Ellie

Kathryn

Hey everyone, thanks for the input… I was also wondering if irregular heart beats are part of it as well. My dad experienced them previously, but they went away. Apparently he is having a really bad day today and the swelling is still there and now his heart is beating irregularly. I am SO glad he is going to the doc. tomorrow…..

Kathryn

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert