MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

the doctor refused irradiated blood – what now?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board the doctor refused irradiated blood – what now?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    patti

Mom had another blood transfusion today and when we got there I discovered that they were giving her only filtered blood. We had specifically told the doctor we wanted irradiated blood and she said they reserve doing that for transplant patients. If I can’t give her a compelling reason we aren’t going to get this. Can someone tell me what compelling reason to give her for next time? It makes me mad. I don’t think I should have to justify why I want what I want. I want the best for mom.

Oh – anyway. I’ve read everything from the past on this subject and I still don’t understand why irradiated. I do understand why filter.

Thanks

patti

Neil

Irradiation inactivates lymphocytes and prevents GVHD. Use of leukocyte filters and irradiatedblood is recommended by docs for patients who repeatedly recieve blood tx. A double precaution that helps tx dependent patients from building up antibodies against platelets, transplantation protiens and other antigens.
    You can demand Irradiated/filtered blood and see if they respond. You can threaten to take her to another facility.
    What is her age? if she is an older patient, you can claim they are discriminating based on age. This usually gets their attention.
    Neil

cthomas555

I did have a febrile reaction during my second transfusion after I had been refused the leukocyte reduced, irradiated blood that I was told by the nurse was only given to the BMT patients and since I had COPD I would not qualify for a BMT so there was no reason to give it to me.

I told my internist about this refusal and she referred me to another Hem/Onc who I changed to who does not hesitate to order the leukocyte reduced, irradiated blood each month and he is in the same facility (Cleveland Clinic) as the initial hem/onc.

Chris

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert