MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Timing of Vidaza Treatments

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Timing of Vidaza Treatments

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    maueenh
    Participant

My father just completed his 8th round of Vidaza treatments administered 7 days on 21 days off. The doctor said he can now go every 5 or 6 weeks vs every 4 weeks. I know every patient is different but has anyone had better experience with one versus the other? Of course my father would like to go 6 weeks but I’m nervous about the change. Vidaza has been good to him so far.

Thanks
    Maureen

kls

My Dad just finished his 3rd round of Vidaza. His Dr. told us that it is good to wait an extra week because it gives the cells more time to recover from the chemo. It makes sense! We are starting to see improvements in his counts….how is it working for your Dad? Any improvements? Try to trust the Dr. Waiting 5 weeks is working for my Dad. Good Luck!!

Terri

At one Point Bob’s doctor started spreading Bobs out 5 weeks then 6 but then after about 7 months the blast started increasing so back to the 4week cycle. Occassionnally we may cheat and go 23 days instead of 21 etc but not much more. Everyone is different. Our Dr. Orders blood slides/smears which he examines every month if not more often to see if he sees any changes in Bobs blood cells and this is how he caught it that time and said ok lets do a BMB and sure enough the blast had increased.
    I hope this helps but I am sure your dads doctor will follow things closely as well.

maueenh
    Participant

Thank you for the responses.
    KLS- my dad has had a good response to the Vidaza thus far. He has been transfusion free since July.
    The doctor has not performed another bmb stating that he is sure he has improved given the CBC levels. His recommended protocol was 8 cycles at 4 week intervals then he said it was more flexible. I do trust my dad’s doctor (very much) but I was just reaching out to my friends on the forum to see what your experience has been. I believe that you have to educate yourself and be very proactive in this journey.

Thanks again
    Maureen

My mother was diagnosed November 22, 2006. She had a transfusion when she entered the hospital Nov. 15 and had a bone marrow biopsy Nov. 17. As soon as the new oncologist/hematologist saw her records (delayed by her primary) he wanted to see her immediately. He was surprised to find out she’s had no treatment in the last 2 months and looks and feels fine. Her blasts are good–in the 5-7% range. I was relieved to find out that her blast level is good and that MDS is not called pre-lukemia anymore. Will have another biopsy to get more definate diagnosis and course of treatment. The doctor did say there are visual symptoms to look for but I’m not sure I caught all the info. Mom is blind so it’s up to me to monitor any changes. We’re on the high part of the ride right now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert