MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Transfusion Questions

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Transfusion Questions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Angie W.

My dad goes to the doctor this afternoon. He is currently on Hydrea – has been on this just over a week – after being diagnosed with AML on 12/8.

He is SO TIRED. And also short of breath. He’s probably going to go ahead with the chemo, but said he may also try to postpone until after the holidays since he is now showing some reaction to the Hydrea.

Wondering if they may do transfusions?? I have read the posts about requesting irradiated, filtered blood. Is this still required since he has AML now? Anything else to require? How long does it take to do it? And what about any possible side effects?

How soon would he feel some improvement and how long would it last?

Also, any thoughts on starting Procrit or Aranesp?

I’m anxious to see what his counts are doing and what the options are at this point.

Christina

Hi Angie…
    I don’t see why they wouldn’t give your dad transfusions if his number is low. My dad gets them every 1 – 2 weeks. Yes…ask for irradiated, filtered blood. It helps lessen reation and iron overload. My dad also gets procrit shots once a week. I am not sure if it helps but it doesn’t hurt the situation. Let me know how his counts are.
    Wishing you well!

sugarwhale

Dear Angie,
    My mom has been getting transfusions for a long time now. It usually takes them 4 to 5 hours for two units of packed red blood cells. This is AFTER they get the blood from the blood bank. It has made her feel better, quite a bit, but after 2 or 3 days elapse. The transfusion itself tends to wear her out. Thanks to Essiac, she hasn’t felt like she needs one now. We’re hoping….
    My mom had no side effects from the transfusions. The transfusions last for a while, but it depends on the person and the condition of their bone marrow. Hope this helps some!
    ~~~ Janet

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert