MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

transfusions?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board transfusions?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lillian1919

Hello
    I am new to this site. My Mum will be 88 this year and has MDS, she was diagnosed 4/07. She has been having transfusions and Aranesp injections but this past week the oncologist stopped the injections as they were not helping. Now she is having labs every other week and transfusions as needed. She has been having ” spells” or “blackouts”. During the last transfusion last week she had 4 spells. Her BP drops and the transfusion had to be slowed/stopped. Has anyone had this experience? She has not had another spell since the transfusion.

Alice S
    Participant

Hi Lillian
    My mother had the same reaction this past weekend BP went haywire and she reacted to one of the units of blood, she had fever and chills.

Mom has had more that 80 transfusions in the past 26 months. Some times she feels very good, sometimes she actually feels as if she is becoming sick. So we now call it superman, good or bad blood – depending on how she feels afterwards. Mom is on Eprex (EPO) in South Africa but will stop because it hasn’t helped, actually she needs more transfusions.

Hope this helps, take care.
    Alice

lillian1919

Hi Alice
    Thanks for the info, I am new to all this.
    How is your Mum holding up? Is she is good spirits?
    Of course there is a big difference is age, but my Mum is dreading the next transfusion. Just after I posted she told me she has had the “spells” and dizziness again today.
    Thanks for writing – I am so glad I found this forum.

Teresa

Lillian;

My Mom has been receiving transfusions for 3yrs, and just resently started having a temp and chills. They are pre-medicating her with Benadryl and Tylenol. That is working well, does make her drosy for about a day. You might want to ask about pre-medication.

Good luck

Teresa

krishananth

Hi

My dad too is transfusion dependent and has had nearly 20 – 25 transfusions by now. he just has a transfusion last Saturday.
    earlier he never had chills but last saturday he had chills and the transfusion was stopped for an hour.

just wanted to know if the chills are indicative of non-acceptance of fresh blood or what is the reason for this?

Regards
    Sandhya

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert