MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Treatment in the NY tri-state area

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Treatment in the NY tri-state area

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lucym

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had treatment for hypoplastic MDS in the NY tri-state area. My Mom who is 62 years old was diagnosed in March 05 on a routine physical, less that 1 year later she is in the hospital with extremly low counts and hypocellular marrow.
    Any doctor/hospital/treatment information success or failure would be great help.
    Thanks
    Lucy

eve

lucy

my dad is being treated by dr silverman @ mt sinai in nyc – he has been on vidaza for over 2 years – feel free to contact me with any specific questions you have

eve

Dennis

How often does you dad get the vidaza? What kind of results is he getting?

Thanks.

Dennis

eve

hi dennis

my dad gets the vidaza anywhere from 4-6 weeks intervals – depending on how he is feeling

last month he had a fungus infection so they postponed the treatment an extra 2 weeks

i would say the treatments are definitely helping his blood counts – especially the hgb – which is in the 10-11 range -platlets are still low in the 30-50 range – the problems we have been having in the last several months are with a bleeding ulcer that doesn’t seem to want to heal and last month dad had that fungus infection –

it’s a tough road, but we take one day at a time

good luck to you

eve

gemloyear

Hi Eve, does your dad take carafate or asacol for his ulcer? Those meds. helped my husband.Its encouraging that your dad is hanging in there with the vidaza. My husband’s category was changed from RCMD to RAEB-1 in dec. and in jan. to AML, but his Dr is not recomending any chemo. she does’t feel it would do any good. We are going for a 2nd. opinion.I know I should post a separate up date but I don’t know where to begin.
    This has evolved too fast.
    Ellie

Suzanne

Ellie, glad you are going for a second opinion. NIH diagnosed my progression to AML and they said they did not think anything would work and had no treatment to recommend. I sure am glad my Docs at Hopkins disagreed! I know You just want to be sure you have whatever choices there might be so you can make a decision. Good luck. Will be thinking about you

eve

hi ellie

my dad is taking protonix for his ulcer – will check into the drugs you mentioned

glad you are going for a second opinion – never give up hope

eve

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert