MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Turn for the worse

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Turn for the worse

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    mamakayz

Hello.

Nadine’s husband here…it’s been about 4 months since we’ve posted. Things were going reasonably well for most of that time, getting regular transfusions, procrit and neupogin shots and we were looking forward to starting the MS275 treatments at Hopkins in the near future. Nadine was carrying on with a reasonably normal life, driving a little, cooking and cleaning and housework..the normal stuff. Over the weekend it seemed like she was coming down with the flu, weakness, temperature, nausea and vomitting, and slightly delirous. After a day of this we brought her into the doctor, who told us she needed to be in the hospital immediately and that she was near death.
    We brought her to ICU, where we came to find out that her RBC and platelet counts were almost non-existent, white blood count elevated (making them think that the MDS may have progressed to AML)
    heavily dehydrated and going into kidney failure, enlarged liver and spleen…the works!
    She has now been in ICU for 2 days and has seen little improvement, they have ruled out a few serious things like meningitis (she had been compaining of back pains). They have not been able to bring her platelets up despite about a dozen units, but her reds are rising a bit. She is in a hazy mental state, a little disoriented with very limited memory, very shaky motor skills, etc….We are hoping for the best, but are totally aware of the possibilities that lie ahead.

Please keep her in your thoughts,
    Jon

eve

you are both in our thoughts and prayers

eve

Caroline

Jon and Nadine,

I have added you to my prayers.

God Bless.
    Caroline

Sandy L

Hi Jon and Nadine

Sorry to hear that all is not well, I will say a prayer tonight and I do hope it is answered.
    Good thoughts to you and your family.

Marsha

My prayers are added also for Jon and Nadine, may God hold you both in the palm of his hand.

God Bless, Marsha

shirlsgirl

Oh my. Jon I’m so sorry about Nadine. Hoping and praying things improve quickly.

Thinking of you guys….

Take care, Jody

Suzanne

Jon, I had been watching for news of Nadine.Last time I saw her it was before the transplant failed. I am so sorry that what I see is not good. I will be at Hopkins tomorrow for blood work but from what you describe this time she really doesn’t need unrelated visitors if that is where she is in ICU.I will be sending hopes forimprovement and/or strength and peace to you both.

Terri

You have tons of prayers coming your way. GOd Bless you both.

tsj

I am so sorry about your wife, you are both in my prayers.

Jimbob

Jon,
    Prayers for the well being of both you and Nadine.
    Jim

gemloyear

Jon,We will be praying for you and Nadine.
    Ellie

Jerry

Jon,

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Nadine.

Jerry

riley

Jon,

You and Nadine will be in my prayers.

Nicole

karenkay

My prayers are with you both.
    God bless and strengthen you,
    Karenk

Ensnee

Jon, I add my prayers to everyone else’s here. I’m so sorry Nadine has taken a turn for the worse.

hugs,
    Esme

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert