MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

U of M Ann Arbor, MI Cancer Center

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board U of M Ann Arbor, MI Cancer Center

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    PhyllisA

Hi to everyone,
    I was just wondering if any of you living in the tri state area IN,OH,& MI has ever been or may be going to this Cancer Center as I had an appointment with a Dr Erba 08/03/05 and he seems to be real knowledgeable of M D S so will get a BMB 8/8 and go back 8/15 for discussion plan of what to do
    Wishing you all the BEST OF HEALTH
    Ron from MICHIGAN

John in GR

Hi Ron,

I met Dr Erba in July 2001. He recommended that I have a stem cell transplant. I decided not to follow his advice and instead followed a nutritional/alternative approach.

I have heard from others, however, that Dr. Erba is well qualified in the area of MDS. There is a gentleman I have been in contact with whose wife is a phlebotomist at the U of M Hospital and who also speaks very highly of Dr Erba.

Best wishes for wise choices on how to proceed.

John in GR

Neil

Hi Ron,
    Have a couple thoughts for you to bounce off your doc.
    Was your erythropoietin level and iron level checked before they tried Procrit? Iron is needed for Procrit to work. If a patient has low iron a supplement might get it to kick in. If Epo is high or around normal chances are it wont work.
    Did they consider Aranesp? Similar to Procrit,but longer lasting and some times works where Procrit does not.
    Neil

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert