MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

umbilical cord blood transplant

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board umbilical cord blood transplant

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lolam

Have any of you looked into having a cord blood transplant instead of a bone marrow transplant? I am still waiting for a donor match and have been idling away the wait by surfing the web and came across the research done at the U of Minnesota on this. I guess it has several advantages over a bone marrow transplant.
    Just wondering,
    Lola

gemloyear

Hi Lola, There was anews special on tv. on weds. It looked to be very promising. They showed how it was harvested etc. Check with Doreen, I believe this is what she is planning to do at the U. of M. Good luck, Ellie

Christina

Lola,
    What is the difference between a bone marrow transplant and a stem cell transplant? Is it just the level of chemo? I am traveling this Sunday with my mom and dad to Seattle – Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center to discuss a Stem Cell trans. I am very hopeful, it looks promising!

Suzanne

A cord blood transplant is different then either a stem cell or a bone marrow. I read someplace that cord blood can only produce blood type cells where the stem cell and bone marrow can produce any type of cell. my understanding is that the main difference between stem cell and bone marrow is the method of harvesting from the donor. The stem cell is easier for the donor.I believe that one engrafts more slowly so one has more problem with infection the other more problems with GVHD. It used to be that which an institution preferred was connected to which problem they felt more comfortable handling. Now I seem to hear that almost everyone is doing the stem cell.And they seem to be a lot better at handling both problems .

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert