MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

update

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lolam

My insurance company is still hung up about stem cell or bone marrow. I guess they don’t really do bone marrow transplants anymore but it is virtually the same thing. They will not okay the typing for my sister until they sign off on the transplant. It is 3500 and we cannot afford to pay for the typing ourselves. To make things even more fun, Bob’s company is changing health insurances to Aetna effective June 1st. I don’t know how long it takes to get an HLA typing but I imagine it would take all of May. So I guess the best thing may be to put it all on hold and begin the typing in June. I hate to waste a whole month as I assume I am progressing towards the AML. My sister may not be a match besides and then I would have to take the time anyway to find another match. I can’t imagine being able to have a transplant sooner than 6 mos. and by then it may not be feasible. I have not known for sure if this is the route I should be taking anywise so maybe the decision will be made for me. That may be a good thing.

Kathryn

Hey Lola,

Just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you and wishing you well. Insurance can be so difficult and I hope that everything works out for you the best way possible.

Have a wonderful weekend,

Kathryn

sarah

Hi Lola, hope everything works out for you with the insurance. This is hard enough as is, without worrying about coverage. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Take care,
    Sarah

Suzanne

Ther is an organization for patients with insurance problems listed on a handout I have from the Leukemia & Lymphoma society that might help.
    Patient Advocate Foundation
    Insuracne Advocacy
    http://www.patientadvocate.org

Suzanne

Woop! Here is another one in that list that looks like it is especially for BMT’s
    Bone Marrow Transplant Newsletter
    Insurance Advocacy
    http://www.bmtnews.org

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert