MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Update from Seattle

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Update from Seattle

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone,

Have not been on in awhile so a little update. I am still at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA aka the Hutch) waiting for a transplant. So far I have lost two donors. The first for an unknown reason and the second because when he went for his physical, they found a life threatening problem with him. The only good thing about the last one is that they found a problem in time to do something about it. From what we hear, he hadn’t a clue of anything wrong.

We are now on donor number three, a perfect 10/10 match as well as cmv negatve. He had his physical wednesday. We have not heard anything negative so we assume everything is ok. We should know for sure after the holiday. At any rate the transplant team is proceding to schedule the transplant for June 14.

Next week I get my Hickman central line in and it is actually being put in by the inventor. That will really be a relief – no more needles! I am not sure but I think I must have had a hundred or more in the month I have been waiting. I’m looking forward to just getting plugged in. Heck, my veins go into shock every time I go for a transfusion (4 so far. They clap shut just like a baby refusing to eat something.

Just a note on BMBs. I have had three so far and the best one has been at the Hutch by an RN named Pat. It did not hurt at all during or immediately after and only a little over time. The worst one I had was by my oncologist.

That about sums up wher I have been and what I have been doing. I will be most gald when this whole process is done.

Bill

shirlsgirl

Hey Bill,

How are you doing? Will you be in the hospital until June 14th? Hope everything goes perfect with your donor this time. How awesome that the INVENTOR of the Hickman line will be putting it in. Sounds like there are some top notch staff at Hutch!

Hang in there,

Jody

Jimbob

Bill,
    Must be a reason for the first 2 donors to become unavailable to you – and so good of you to have played a part in saving prospective donor #2. Hoping and praying that #3 will not only work well for you as a transplant but also keep GVHD to a minimum.
    Jim

Lolam

I have been wondering about you every day. I hope this match will work out for you and you will be on your way to great results and good health…
    Are you actually in the hospital?
    I am still waiting for my sister’s results on a match. I was wondering if you ever looked into a cord blood transplant or if your doctors ever mentioned that to you. It seems to have better results and not as troublesome finding a match.
    I will also be at the SCCA when the time comes. If my sis is a match my onc. said it would still be probably not until July. I am so scared and so excited at the same time. You will be in our prayers and thoughts. I hope you will be able to post as we are all anxious to hear how it goes.

I’m not in the hospital yet. I should be going in for the IV chemo about the 11th of June. The transplant infusion will be on the 14th, if all goes as planned.

No, I have only considered the full MUD. Other transplant protocalls have not been presented as an option – yet. I expect when I have my final data conference on Wed. they may talk about other options but they seem to think the full MUD is the way to go for me at this time.

Even if donor three falls through, the National registry has identified two more perfect matches in Wales. Hope we don’t have to go that far though.

By the way, the CaringBridge organization web site is really good. I set up a page at http://www3.caringbridge.org/wa/billwolter. I am using it to do weekly updates or any time I think something is important.

Best to everyone.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert