MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Update on Hans

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Update on Hans

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ensnee

I haven’t been around at all, since Hans was finally re-admitted to PMH Tuesday before last,
    for re-induction chemo. He had one or two days with pre-chemo tests, then they asked him if he wanted to participate in a small treatment study,
    where Gleevec is give for three days, then along with 7 days of I.V. chemo, and then the Gleevec continues afterward, I think. I will have to check on how long he will take that. So far in this study, participants have had a much higher remission rate than with just the usual re-induction chemo for AML. Since the leukemia had not progressed to his blood again yet he was feeling very good, looking good, and started from a much stronger place. They let him go home for the long weekend, and he started treatment last Monday. So far, so good! He is up and dressed everyday, strolls the halls, goes up to the rooftop garden, sits in the patient lounge to watch the big TV instead of always watching the small one in his room. He even went down to the Tim Horton’s in the lobby yesterday to get a dutchie. Since there were no people around, being Saturday (the place is like a ghost town on weekends!) he was not afraid of catching anything. Now that his white cells are plummeting, he won’t be able to leave for awhile.

Hugs to you all,
    Esme

Terri

Thinking of you and Hans, Wish only the best for you and continuing my prayers

Ensnee

THANKS, TERRI!!!

Esme

Suzanne

I will keep my fingers crossed that he will be back in remission .

sarah

Keeping you both in our thoughts and prayers.

PAG2005

You and Hans are in my prayers. It’s good that he is feeling good and strong. Do you know what chemo he will be receiving with Gleevac? Pat

shirlsgirl

Hi Esme,

Wishing Hans luck with the Gleevec study! I hope so much that it works. How many mg’s will he be taking? Glad to hear that he’s feeling well and in good spirits…that’s awesome!
    Wishing Hans success!!

(big hug)

Jody

DonUK

Best of luck to you both Esme

Ensnee

Thanks so much, everyone, for the positive thoughts. Martha (our daughter, 17) and I spent some time with Hans today. He is in very good spirits and still feeling good today. Right now his is on 300mg of Gleevec/once a day. I’m sorry, I don’t remember all the names or schedules of the three chemo drugs — I will write it down next time I go in, on Tuesday. One of the drugs is blue. He is getting Cytarabine (sp?) again, but not the same amount as before, and only for two days. His blood counts are dropping, and he will probably need a tx tomorrow; I just hope he doesn’t get the fevers like last time. He is determined to get up and walk even if he feels lousy this time. He did walk last time, but very little for about the first three weeks. I will pass on all your good thoughts to Hans!

take care,
    Esme

Kathryn

Hey Esme, thanks so much for the update. I have been wondering how you guys were doing. I am so glad to know that Hans is doing well.

I hope that the Gleevec study is successful for Hans. Please keep us posted.

Take good care.

Hugs back to you,

Kathryn

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert