MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Update on Mom's AML- Zarnestra trial

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Update on Mom's AML- Zarnestra trial

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sheryl Ann

I wanted to update my MDS family on my mom’s recent progression to AML. I find such love and support from you and know what it is like to have or have a loved one with MDS. I really need some love and support today. I feel like I am going to have a meltdown. Mom took her first dose of Zarnestra last Thursday. 3 hours later, she had seizure like movements and stopped breathing. My fiance moved her on her side, wiggled and talked to her and she started breathing again. I called 911 and she was taken to the hospital. Her heart stopped and started 8 more times in the emergency room. They put an external pacemaker on her and she was moved to ICU. It was decided to put a internal pacemaker in her. Doctors were questioning this since she had been given 6-8 weeks to live without treatment for her AML. She had the pacemaker put in. It only took a couple hours. We were told the Zarnestra unmasked her “weak heart wiring” since she had such bad nasea after taking the Zarnestra. The doctor thought she should continue with the Zarnestra at a reduced dose. Mom decided to give it another try since her white blood count keeps increasing everyday. She took her first dose last night and if everything continues to goes ok she will be discharged from the hospital tommorrow. I am taking her to my house and will take care of her. I will keep everyone posted.

Sheryl

PaigeS

{{{{Sheryl}}}}

Big, big hugs to you! I’m so sorry that your mom is having to go through so much.

Please keep us posted and take care of yourself. You will both be in my prayers.

Terri

prayers are with you

Joannie

Hi Sheryl Ann,

I am so sorry you have to go through this. Your mother must be so glad she has you. Take comfort in knowing you are doing everything you possibly can. I will pray for strength for you to get through this and hope your mom has a miraculous recovery. all my best, Joan

sarah

Prayers are with you and your mom.

Sheryl Ann

Thank you everyone for your prayers and support. I am taking mom home to my house today from the hospital. I am very happy about this and at the same time nervous since I do not know what the coming days/weeks will bring. We made the decision last night to cancel our July 6th wedding since we are not in the wedding spirit and there are to many unknow’s with mom’s health.
    I will keep everyone posted about mom’s health and the progress of the Zarnestra trial.
    One thing that is important to know about the Zarnestra trial if you or a loved one is considering, have a complete heart exam since we have learned first hand, “weak or old heart wiring” and bad naseau can cause the heart to stop.

Hugs to everone!

Sheryl

Carrie

Sheryl,

I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I can’t imagine what you’re going through.

*hugs*
    Carrie

Marsha

Sheryl,

Prayers and Hugs are sent your way for all of you. Bless you for the daughter you are.

Marsha

shirlsgirl

Sheryl,

I’m sorry about your mom. Thank goodness she has you for a daughter and that she’s going to your home today. Hoping and praying the reduced dose of Zarnestra works for her.

Take care,

Jody

Suzanne

So sorry about what you and your Mom had to go through. They did reduce my dosage level of Zarnestra pretty quickly-hope the new dose helps her and does not cause further problems.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert